Bush hog end of life?

/ Bush hog end of life? #1  

arrows

Tractor
N/A
I picked up a cheap old rotary cutter a few months ago, and while doing some minor repairs (i.e. completely take it apart to replace all the bolts which had rusted solid, causing the gearbox to jiggle around with no way to tighten the bolts...etc etc), I took off the stump jumper, and noticed that the splines in the center of the stump jumper were worn down. Eventually, it seems this will cause slippage (if it isn't already), which will quickly hasten the splines wearing out, therefore the blades will no longer turn. Also, the gearbox is leaking oil/grease all over everything.

I think perhaps this may have been a case where even a good deal was a bad deal. This is the first bush hog I've ever owned. I ask those of you with more bush hog experience: At what point do you turn off life support for your old equipment? Is it worth continuing to fix this one? Is there anything that can be done for the leaky gearbox? (I guess my plan was to ignore the gearbox, finish replacing the bolts, and just run this thing until it stops turning.)

/ Bush hog end of life? #2  
If you can get the spline off the stump jumper you can buy new ones on Ebay for around 10$. Run Cotton Picking Grease in the gear box (You can get it from TSC)

Good luck

/ Bush hog end of life? #3  
Run it like a rented mule. Like sjay says pump it full of grease, that won't leak out and and it will lube the gears just as good. You will be surprised at how long the old beast will keep kicking.

/ Bush hog end of life? #5  
What they said, my brother patches and uses his cutters way past the point most would junk them and his fields look the same as a new one.

/ Bush hog end of life? #6  
What you are looking for is Cornhead grease. It should be available at your local JD dealer. You will need about 2 tubes, maybe less. I still don't understand why they don't come with it from the factory.