Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #1  

tower59

Hello! I have some areas on our farm that are a little too steep and irregular to safely brush hog with my 2WD 55HP tractor and 6' shredder. Specifically, areas right around our pond, grass along the highway frontage, and some hilly areas. I've been looking into walk-behind field and brush mowers as an option.
(1) It would seem that this is a common task, but why aren't there more field and brush mowers out there? We talk lots about all sorts of equipment on this forum, for instance, but not much about field and brush mowers. Why? Do they work ok? If you don't use one, how do you mow and shred on hills?
(2) I'm specifically looking at the new DR Field and Brush Mower Pro-26 10.5HP & 14.5 HP and the Pro XL-30 16.5HP. The 10.5 HP has a manual start (no battery to mess with) and the other two have electric start. The 30" model has power steering. Anyone have experience with the DR mowers or would you recommend another manufacturer?
(3) There are a couple of other companies that also manufacture field and brush mowers. Are they better than DR Power?
(4) Where do you get service for these things?

Many thanks!!!

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #2  
I've had a DR 17 hp brush mower for around 15 years. It has been a good machine and it is amazing at what it can take down! Although, the clutch blew out at around 150 hrs. If you Goggle the DR brush mower clutch problem, you'll see that this was a problem on older machines. Parts are readily available from DR. We bought it originally to mow 1,800 feet of berm slope and some narrow trails. It did a good job, however it was slow on the berm. You had to keep turning around on the slope (back and forth) to keep oil circulating properly on the engine. Wasn't practical to mow the slope up and down. Averaged about a 2 day job. Wife decided we needed a sickle bar mower for the tractor. Now the entire berm can be cut in around an hour. Big time saver! Sickle bar mower is really good at cutting ditches if the ditch is fairly clear and not full of debris and rocks. I've seen people use sickle bars around ponds with good success.

I've seen the Billygoat brush cutter in action. IMHO, didn't seem as powerful as the bigger DR brush mowers. Seemed more comparable to the smaller DR brush mowers with narrower cutting width and smaller engines.

In terms of service for the DR, there are dealers in my area that will work on it. It is a pretty basic machine, owners manual is pretty good. I've done the service on it including replacing the clutch. If you are any bit handy, you should be able to handle it. DR used to offer a try before you buy option?

If I get chance later, I'll post a picture of my berm for comparison purposes.

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #3  
Thanks for the idea on a sickle bar mower.
I'm thinking it might fit a need for me.
Can you show me a photo of what you cut with it?
��

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #4  
Thanks for the idea on a sickle bar mower.
I'm thinking it might fit a need for me.
Can you show me a photo of what you cut with it?
��

Here are some pics of the berm from a couple of years ago. This is my old MF 1643 with a BEFCO sickle bar mower.

Attachments

• 20140914_170504_resized_1.jpg
    20140914_170504_resized_1.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 20140914_170356_resized.jpg
    20140914_170356_resized.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 455
  • 20140914_171430_resized.jpg
    20140914_171430_resized.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 1,027
   / Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #5  
Thanks. Mine is a little steeper, but not much.
How long is the sickle and how much can you adjust the angle?

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #6  
Here are some pics of small parts of the berm last year after some cleanup. I don't have any pics handy, but there are sections of the slope that are steeper. The DR would want to roll over in those areas. We've actually found a lot of uses for the sickle bar. With our current MF 1754, barely feel the sickle bar on the back. Cutting is really easy! On the berm, I take a pass from the bottom and then one from the top and I'm done. Since, I already have the sickle bar on the tractor, I finish the flat sections with it. Have found the sickle bar pretty handy for trimming close to the hedgerow in our back field and trails as long as you know what it in the hedgerow where you are cutting.

I have a 7 foot bar on it. According to the manual, it will mow 90 degrees up and 55 degrees down. I haven't had any issues mowing our ditches which are a pretty steep drop-off.

Thall303 - my wife has been looking at buying a Kawasaki Mule. I see you have one. What's your opinion on them? Thanks - Ted

Attachments

• 20160726_092227_resized.jpg
    20160726_092227_resized.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 20160726_091854_resized.jpg
    20160726_091854_resized.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 330
   / Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #7  
Thanks
I use the Mule a lot for clean up on the old family farm that had been neglected for a lot of years.

It is a work horse as far as I can tell and I wish I had bought it several years sooner.

It is not an off road vehicle and only 2 wheel drive.

Pretty close to 50 hours and not one problem.

I see a lot of gators, but glad I looked at the Mule as I like it better.

/ Field & Brush Mowers , DR Power #8  
tower59 asked:
...I've been looking into walk-behind field and brush mowers as an option.
(1) It would seem that this is a common task, but why aren't there more field and brush mowers out there? We talk lots about all sorts of equipment on this forum, for instance, but not much about field and brush mowers. Why? Do they work ok? If you don't use one, how do you mow and shred on hills?
(2) I'm specifically looking at the new DR Field and Brush Mower Pro-26 10.5HP & 14.5 HP and the Pro XL-30 16.5HP. The 10.5 HP has a manual start (no battery to mess with) and the other two have electric start. The 30" model has power steering. Anyone have experience with the DR mowers or would you recommend another manufacturer?
(3) There are a couple of other companies that also manufacture field and brush mowers. Are they better than DR Power?
(4) Where do you get service for these things?

Many thanks!!!

I bought a DR Field & Brush mower about 3 years ago and should have have bought one years earlier. It is definitely one of my most-useful pieces of equipment. The machine is a beast and is useful for mowing just about anywhere you can walk. I wish i had a picture of the steepest hill I mow with it- maybe I can get one later today. i bought the machine specifically to mow areas that I felt were too steep to mow with my tractor and to build and maintain walking trails through our woods that would be narrower and through rougher terrain than I was comfortable on the tractor. My model is the 14.5 hp (I think) which I bought specifically because the engine has pressurized lubrication which DR recommended for steeper mowing. I got electric start because my old shoulders complain about certain motions. I used the mower about a week ago for the first time since last November and it started right up at about 30 degrees- so the no-maintenance battery is not a concern for me.

My machine predates the latest brake-steered models, and it can give you a workout, but it's satisfying work. Before purchasing, I looked a Billy Goat, but now I can't recall why I chose the DR over the BG.

As for service, the owner's manual is very descriptive to allow the owner to do all routine maintenance. If you are not comfortable with that, the machine is so basic that any competent lawn equipment shop can easily handle it.

Finally, just because everyone likes photos, here's a picture of mine showing the chain saw carrier I added for trail building and maintenance activities.
2015-09-19 14.13.00.jpg