What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I'm contemplating clearing a lot on a pretty stump hill. There's only 1 or 2 big trees. Everything else is 6" or less. I'll have a CTL on the job, but I know it won't handle it. My experience on a mini is pretty brief and on level ground.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #2  
Experience is your friend especially operating any machinery on a slope.
Is it too steep for the CTL? 6" trees should not be much trouble for that Kub. ctl I've seen you post before. The mini will prolly have a blade on it, keep it "downhill" while your working on the stumps, and depending on the slope, swing the boom up hill while traveling across the slope. I've kept the boom close in but downhill in extreme conditions in case it's needed as a crutch or to catch yourself if necessary. The mini's can be a little tippy vs. a larger machine.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #3  
They can go pretty steep. I been down several hills where I would flip over forward without riding the bucket down the hill. Kind of use it as a skid/out rigger and slide it as I work my way down. Depending on the machine, the blade will drop a good deal below level so you can anchor the machine on the down hill with the blade to work.
Also remember if you go down it you have to come back up! Wet leaves and mud are not your friend when doing this kind of stuff with a Mini. Be safe

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #4  
Take Rustyirons advice. If your hills are anything like mine I'd get a few more hours of seat time before tackling that job.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle.
Experience is your friend especially operating any machinery on a slope.
Is it too steep for the CTL? 6" trees should not be much trouble for that Kub. ctl I've seen you post before. The mini will prolly have a blade on it, keep it "downhill" while your working on the stumps, and depending on the slope, swing the boom up hill while traveling across the slope. I've kept the boom close in but downhill in extreme conditions in case it's needed as a crutch or to catch yourself if necessary. The mini's can be a little tippy vs. a larger machine.

The Kubota would be capable of traversing the slope a couple of times. Once it's gets worn down all bets are off. And I doubt I could actually do any work on the hill. And that CTL will eat 6" trees for lunch. The plan for the mini was to keep the blade on the down hill side to keep it mostly level. If I end up in a bind it won't come out of I'd have the CTL and enough chains.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #6  
Rent a bigger machine, level a pad and stump a 40'-50' dia. circle from each pad? That might be faster & cheaper in the long run.:confused3:

Leveling is not an option. A possible option might be to just cut the brush by hand and either grind or leave the stumps.

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #8  
Leveling is not an option.

No, just for the bigger machine to sit on while clearing that "40-50' circle". The grade could be restored as he moves on to his next ''circle". I don't know how steep your talking about either.:thumbsup:

/ What kind of a hill can a mini excavator handle. #9  
You should not attempt this with a mini unless you are able to level a working area. It's the best approach.

After you do what you need to do, just level it back to the original slope.

The blade will go down enough to put the machine close to level. Is that not sufficient? It's cost prohibitive get a machine bigger than a JD 50.