Mini Excavator - What Size and Make

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #1  

First Dig

I am looking to buy a used Mini Excavator for my own personal use for my property. I have 160+ acres and like to get one to level out some of my existing trails, clear some areas that have some smaller trees and remove stumps, grade out trails and make new ones and general clean up property. Property has a lot of stones and rock. Also to demo a few sheds and grade out areas of property. I only have a small John Deere 790 with brush hog, backhoe attachment and box cutter.
Need to get a used Mini Excavator now with a enclosed cab and blade and Thumb. Is it better to get blade that can angle? What is the best weight and HP size to get?
Any input is appreciated. Manufacturer? Models?

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #2  
My vote is the biggest you can move. If that's not a valid concern big iron is cheaper.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #3  
I'm not a mini x expert.. but a few things that need to be addressed in your question and others answers.. what is your budget ? . How fast do you need to get the work done ? And how deep do you need to dig ? What weight / size rocks do you expect to be moving ? .. I'm on 25 acres with mostly sandy soil and pine / smaller oak and maple trees. I have a KX121/3 that is more than enough machine for my limited needs. It may not be ad adequate for 1000 pound boulders though.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #4  
My vote is the biggest you can move. If that's not a valid concern big iron is cheaper.
Except big iron is also more costly to HAVE repaired. If you can wrench it yourself it doesn't seem as bad, but if you have to get someone to fix it your at the bottom of the totem pole.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make
Figured used 20's to - 30's budget if need be. Do not need to do fast but would like to be efficient. Do not need to dig anything deep. Want enough power to dig and remove stumps without a crazy struggle. Mostly smaller rocks and if any larger boulders just need to dig and roll them out of way.
I think your machine is about 9000+ lbs. Are you leaving ruts wherever you are going? Do you have a blade that angles?

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #6  
What area of the country are you in? Threre's lots of TBN members. One may be close to you and know of some deals/contacts, etc... close to you.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #8  
Figured used 20's to - 30's budget if need be. Do not need to do fast but would like to be efficient. Do not need to dig anything deep. Want enough power to dig and remove stumps without a crazy struggle. Mostly smaller rocks and if any larger boulders just need to dig and roll them out of way.
I think your machine is about 9000+ lbs. Are you leaving ruts wherever you are going? Do you have a blade that angles?

I have a machine that weights 18,000 Lbs. It is small for removing stumps. If your stumps and trees are under 6-10" for oaks and 12-16 for softwoods, then this size machine is good as it is still fairly compact. If you are tackling real trees, I suggest a minimum of a 12 ton machine. For real clearing work you want a 20 ton machine, not a mini ex. PS anything under 25 tons is a small excavator. $30 K should get a decent running machine. Often little tractors leave bigger ruts than excavators.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #9  
I have a 7500lbs mini and use it to clear smaller areas of land, and general work around the home. I have dug out 40-50 stumps/trees and while a much bigger machine will be far faster I have not had a problem taking anything out up to 24"+ diameter oaks. No problem with ruts and with some practice I have learned to minimize surface damage.
The angle blades are a nice feature and worth having if you get an option.
I bought a 2015 Kubota open station with about 230 hrs for a bit over 1/2 what a new one costs. My big thing was I wanted something to go out and work and not have to be doing repairs.

/ Mini Excavator - What Size and Make #10  

I think you are correct on the weight of mine 9500 +\-. I don't leave ruts in anything. It's pretty quick on the stumps, a 10" oak will take me 5 minutes, a 24" pine is about the same. I only have a straight blade, no angle. .. I bought it used for 16,000