Machine for trail clearing?

/ Machine for trail clearing? #11  
I’d love to, but nobody in my area has one or uses one. Wished they weren’t so expensive or I’d buy one and get a nice side business! I’ve looked into renting a skid steer and mulching head. It’s like $1500 a day to rent one!

Took me three years to find some-one with the right equiptment;keep looking.$285/hr and well worth it.The machine and head are worth $250,000.

/ Machine for trail clearing? #12  
There are several herbicides that will keep ANYTHING from sprouting from roots or germinating in a cleared trail for one to two years.

TSC is a source close to most of us.

/ Machine for trail clearing?
Took me three years to find some-one with the right equiptment;keep looking.$285/hr and well worth it.The machine and head are worth $250,000.

There’s a guy on YouTube that has a new Bobcat and head and said it was $100k. He charges $125/hour. He’s out of Clarksville, TN.

/ Machine for trail clearing? #14  
Have you thought about a good root grapple to pop those shrubs and trees less than 6" out of the ground. The one I have works pretty good and it's fun. Then go back over the trail with a box blade.

Attachments

• grapple.jpg
    grapple.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 390
  • trail.jpg
    trail.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 359
  • trail clearing.jpg
    trail clearing.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 639
   / Machine for trail clearing? #15  
Had similar and bought a CAT D3 and had a lot of fun... once everything was in it took about 6 hours annually to maintain...

Couldn't really justify keeping it for one day's work a year so I sold it... got just about what I had paid for it 15 years prior...

About a year after I sold my brother was in the same situation... found him a JD 350C for 10k... no ripper. It has done a good job but I sure do miss the D3 with the wider blade and more weight... about 50% heavier...

That said the 350C is like a little mountain goat and small enough to be able to move around with the equipment he has...

Several people have offered/wanted to buy it from him for more than paid...

/ Machine for trail clearing? #16  
The problem with a dozer or bucket is you push stuff over and like some one else said, you end up with a mess. I cut my first three miles of trail with a bush hog. Depending on the size of what you need to cut, rent a skid steer with a heavy duty bush hog. Take your time and build the trail with the plan that you will maintain them with your tractor, bush hog and grapple. If you hire someone with a forestry mulcher, you are going to spend several thousand dollars to cut 3-5 miles of trail wide enough for you to maintain.

/ Machine for trail clearing? #17  
Is there any chance of getting a skid steer with a puller?

/ Machine for trail clearing? #18  
Guys I知 trying to decide if it痴 worth buying some kind of cheap dozer or something for doing some trail clearing on my 100 acre property. I知 part of a state program and federal EQIP program to do some prescribed burns in certain sections of my property. Putting in the trails will serve as fire lines and I can divide off sections and do burns in different sections each year. There is a small amount of cost share up front to out the fire lines in, but there痴 even more money after you do the burns. I壇 be looking at around $1500 a year to do the burns. At that rate, I could help offset the cost of buying a small dozer or some other kind of machine.

The trails don稚 have to be straight and they can weave in and out of the bigger trees and go through the smaller stuff. Trees that are too big for a brush hog, but take too long to do by hand with a chainsaw.

My grandpa says an old JD 350 would be good for this kind of work. Anyone have any thoughts? Can I find anything for say under $10k?

It would be helpful if you could post some pictures. Also, why do they want you to burn the understory - invasive species?

/ Machine for trail clearing? #19  
It would be helpful if you could post some pictures. Also, why do they want you to burn the understory - invasive species?

He said for a firebreak but with 46 inches of rainfall a year it wouldn’t seem like a big problem.

/ Machine for trail clearing? #20  
I have 80 acres and have made trails/fire breaks. Was going to rent a small dozer until I saw the mess it could create. Actually, JMHO, but I think a dozer will create more work than it will resolve. All my trails have been cut by hand with my trusty chain saw. Just flag out the path and whack everything down with a good 'ol chain saw. Then I cleaned up by sawing everything to length - piling in my farm wagon - on to the burn pile. My big, brand new farm wagon was a real help in this situation. This was all completed prior to my tractor grapple. Truth be known - the grapple on the tractor probably would have been zero help. Too much twitching, fidgeting around to make a grapple effective. Besides - picture this. A twelve foot wide trail cut thru the trees - all the trees you have cut to make this trail are 2" to 6" in diameter and 30 to 50 feet tall. There is no way a grapple will help in this situation. As you cut these trees to length - you might as well be chucking them into the farm wagon.