Business help

/ Business help #1  

05rammer

Bronze Member
I've been wanting to start my own mulching business for a while now, just not sure how to start. The only guys that I know of mulching by me are at least two hours away. Everybody the clears in my area uses dozers. I'm not sure what is the best way to advertise and how to get people convinced that mulching is the way to go. I was thinking about buying a single axle road tractor, already have a tandem dual gooseneck, and getting some attachments like grapple a tree shear and renting the mulcher and skid as needed. Any advice would be appreciated

/ Business help #2  
Ok Rammer here's my take.
Renting equipment has some big pluses
1, When the job finishes your payments finish
2, Wear and tear breakdowns are not your problem
3, When broken down the rent stops until you're back working
4, Renting makes your business more versatile, you can rent any type of machine you consider appropriate for any task you maybe asked to do.
The downside is that you pay more while the machine is working.
The upside is that you may pay less per month overall.
The tax part of the abovementioned I have no understanding of in your neck of the woods.
IMHO renting is a real good way to start in this game. If it doesn't work out then you won't loose you're shirt but if all goes well then you have the opportunity to do whats best at that time.

/ Business help #3  
Three relationships every new businessman (or woman) needs: A Banker, A Lawyer and An Accountant. If you have a relationship with those three people, you can set up and run almost any business you want. The banker can help you finance your equipment or facilities; The lawyer can set your business up legally and help with any contracts you get; and, the accountant will be able to advise you about smart business decisions and keep your taxes and other financial records straight.

/ Business help
What do you guys recommend for advertising?

/ Business help #5  
Three relationships every new businessman (or woman) needs: A Banker, A Lawyer and An Accountant. If you have a relationship with those three people, you can set up and run almost any business you want. The banker can help you finance your equipment or facilities; The lawyer can set your business up legally and help with any contracts you get; and, the accountant will be able to advise you about smart business decisions and keep your taxes and other financial records straight.

Eddie, there's one thing they can't do and that's win a job and have a happy customer. It all starts from there

/ Business help
Eddie, there's one thing they can't do and that's win a job and have a happy customer. It all starts from there
Is buying a few attachments for skid and renting the skid itself a good idea. No rental company has a good sized shear or a saw.

/ Business help #7  
Is buying a few attachments for skid and renting the skid itself a good idea. No rental company has a good sized shear or a saw.
I own my mulcher head and that saves me 300 bucks a day on the rental. Rental outfits here have a limited range of attachments so I guess it's the same in your neck of the woods. Having your own specialized attachments IMHO is a good idea and if everything thing works out when and if you buy a machine of your own thats all you buy at that time. :thumbsup:

/ Business help #8  
I hired two clearing contractors last year;first one owned a 65h.p.Skid steer with a rotary head and did an o.k.job for what he had.The second used a "rented" 90 h.p. with a Fecon head and did a very good job.I would think starting a clearing business the "rental" stuff would make more economic sense.

/ Business help
What are you guys doing for advertising? I know word of mouth is best but how do you get the word out at first?

/ Business help #10  
Join the local chamber of commerce. All of them that I have been involved with give each member the opportunity to tell all of the others about what they do and what they are looking for for help or work, etc. It's really all about networking. Making friends. Join any group, Optimists, Lions, Church group, Rotary, etc.

AS far as direct advertising; Is there a local "penny saver" type of publication? That's a good place to put a small, inexpensive ad. Do you know someone who can help put together a website for you? I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money, at first, but you can find lots of inexpensive ways to get your name out.