Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet?

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
We're thinking of buying a chipper that would be used almost exclusively with evergreen--Norway Spruce branches. Some branches are pretty long. Anyway, I've owned PTO chippers in the past and all of them plugged up when used with evergreens since the pitch that would gum up the works and cause the feed to bind. It was a frustrating experience. I'm just looking right now but is anyone aware of a PTO chipper that would not gum up and stall on a steady diet of awkward and up to maybe 3" to 4" spruce branches? Thank you.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #2  
I'm a fan of the woodland mills WC68. I'm currently writing a review of it int he attachments section. they have a new discharge chute design that is less likely to clog.

I've put a few fresh green pine branch's through and it did not complain one bit.

it might be worth stepping up to a chipper that spins the flywheel at twice the pto speed.... in order to get more air flow.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #3  
I've run a good amount of Doug Fir through my Woodmaxx 8H. It handles it fine. I have never clogged the chipper, and I make it chip stuff as large as I can get it to feed. If the branch is over 6" I have to set the feed speed really low or it drags the tractor engine down. I have 32 pto hp and could use a little more for the larger material. I changed the Woodmaxx flow control valve for a smaller capacity US made one and it makes setting the feed speed much easier than the too large valve it ships with. But if you have more HP and are chipping 3-4" stuff you can probably leave the feed control on max speed.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #4  
I chip 100% Ponderosa pine. I chip 750 to 900 small( 6" base diameter or smaller ) pines every spring as I thin and maintain my stands. Initially I had a Wallenstein BX42S. Chipped pines up to 4 and a half inches - diameter. I DID experience chute plugging from pine pitch in the chute. My solution - identify, fell, pile and wait a year to chip. The little pines would dry out and no longer have pitch problems.

I got a bigger tractor and moved up to a Wallenstein BX62S. This unit has a larger chute and a much stronger air blast thru the chipper. I can now immediately chip the pines and do not have to wait.

I chip all my pines "in the round". No limbs removed - butt in first - gulp, gulp - its all gone.

When I upgraded from the BX42S - I looked at the BX92S. My tractor would handle the "92". The dealer told me - go back to your place - cut a 9" diameter pine - see how far you can drag it - if you even can. I tired - thats why I bought the BX62S. Some times a 6" x 30' pine is more than I can handle. No way I could drag 9" pines.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet?
Good advice so far. Thank you.

I would chip relatively small things with a branch at 3" or 4" on the butt end maximum. It's those fluffy fine green ends to the branches that I think will cause me trouble.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #6  
You know there - six dogs. There just may not be a chipper or shredder that can handle a lot of green spruce branches without plugging. That's a lot of green pitchy material for not much bulk. I looked up Norway Spruce. There was another "procedure" I used when I had the smaller Wally. A couple two or three shop rags - attached to a broom handle - soaked in diesel fuel - douche down the discharge chute. It was a nasty, messy operation. Thats why I went to piling the trees and waiting a year before chipping.

I would also collect and keep close at hand - dead, ultra dry branches. When things started getting sticky and looking like the chute would plug - a couple two or three dry branches would help clear out the pitch. But with the BX42S - if I got anxious and began chipping as soon as the little pines were cut down - I knew, sooner or later it was going to be the shop towels and diesel fuel.

I tried everything I could think of to "slick up" the discharge chute. WD-40, diesel fuel, silicone spray, new coat of paint. It all helped - to a limited extent - but pine pitch would always win out and I'd be back to the shop towels soaked in diesel fuel.

I would imagine that you would have no problems with most any chipper if you could pile the cut material and wait a year to chip it. I could chip the entire spring worth of small trees without a single plugged chute problem when I waited a year.

You know there - six dogs. There just may not be a chipper or shredder that can handle a lot of green spruce branches without plugging. That's a lot of green pitchy material for not much bulk.

You might be right and that's what I'm thinking. I've tried the wait a year plus the alternate materials thing before and it didn't work. I can't let them dry because farm land here is precious and rents for lots of money. No can do.

My thought was to get a chipper, perhaps used and then at my leisure I could chip the bottom 4 ft of branches off of 500 Norway Spruce trees. It takes a while to cut so that works best. Absent that, maybe I'll just cut over the winter and rent an industrial 10" motorized chipper that I know will chip them. Hire an army of kids to drag brush and adults to feed it into the chipper. Sure would like to find a PTO chipper to buy, use slowly over the winter and sell when done. Maybe not.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #8  
There must be a REALLY GOOD reason you will be giving 500 Norway Spruce trees a hair cut so they all look like they have a Mohawk.

Another thought - rent a chipper that can operate at 1000 PTO rpm. Either by running your alternate 1000 rpm PTO on your M7040 - if it has it OR get a chipper that has a 2 to 1 step up system to get it to 1000 rpm.

Reason behind this thought - there was a VERY significant increase in "pass thru" air volume between the BX42S and the BX62S Wallenstein units I had/have. I think this may be a significant reason I'm not seeing plug ups in the '62.

The reason for taking off a few branches on the bottom is multi-fold. First, it allows me to mow under them with a front mower. That keeps the grass down and lessens maintenance so they look better. Also, the Norway Spruce is a magnificent tree with drooping and hanging branches that need some room at the bottom to "hang" enough to clear the ground. The wife likes this look. Finally, those bottom branches interfere with field work and farming and can upset a planter and make life harder. Trimming is good. I should have been trimming along the way while they were growing but I wasn't paying attention.

/ Which woodchipper for strictly evergreen diet? #10  
I just got a 12" PTO Brush bandit for almost exclusively Dead Pine. So far, I have not encountered any build up of resin. Is dead pine different from living? I'm thinking probably.