asv rc100

/ asv rc100 #1  

paco

Bronze Member
Tractor
bx 2200
It has been interesting reading the different comments regarding different track loaders and mulching heads. I have been debating buying one for months now. I have ran the asv rc100 and the cat 287. I will demo the bobcat t300 in the morning. I believe the asv is the unit of choice by many. Any regrets from asv owners or advice? Thanks, Mike

/ asv rc100 #2  
Hey Mike, I think we covered the good, bad, and the ugly in the other skid steer thread. Tests drives are the best way to determine what tractor is best for you. The only advice I can add is to really look at proposed services you are going to offer, buy the attachments you need to do those. The catch is to think of were those services could lead you and be prepared for that. Example, I run a mulching service, I have laid sod and A little lite grading, I have had to turn down work because I do not have a grapple. I originally planned to buy one with the tractor but just didn't, I plan to remidy[spell] that next week. Also if you plan to mulch heavily I would strongly consider some form of forestry package. ASV's is pretty good but I prefer the one magnum shows on there web site. I didn't do this for at the time I was very green to the whole deal. I do however have the rear guards asv offers, they will do for now. I have a friend who owns a cat and is very pleased but it is a smaller wheeled version. I far as timing I think now would be as good time as any. Time to get everything going being woods turn green again. Good luck, Robbie

/ asv rc100 #3  
Hi Paco. I am a dealer and since I am I will leave others who are owners to answer your specific question. I just wanted to say that I have an ASV RC100 coming in about an hour. I have a grapple and 8' snow blade coming with it and since the snow is coming down hard I am looking to use the blade a bit.

I have the machine with cab and all options and am looking forward to it arriving. I have seen and operated the RC100 but being a new dealer this will be our first we inventory.

We already have RC50, RC60, SR70 and SR80's in inventory so the RC100 should round out the machines I believe will be the most popular.

Best of luck,
Maka

/ asv rc100
Thanks for your imput. I did a demo with the bobcat t300(new k series)today. The machine was very impressive but seems to be much more sensitive as you mulch the 6" material. I am still leaning toward the asv because of horsepower and the track system. More bells and whistles with increased cost when it comes to repairs. I bought two stump grinders from the Vermeer dealer(also asv dealer) and they have agreed to leave me the rc100 for a week or so to demo a second time. I have lined up several jobs with one potential big job. I hope to close some deals with potential customers during the demo week. After that I guess I will pull the trigger. I have been very fortunate with my stump removal business I started five years ago as a part time business. I ran it full time this year. I am ready to diversify my business at this point and this seems to tie in real well with my existing business. I have a one ton 4wd cummins dodge dually, 20' big tex gooseneck already. I have many contacts with tree services,landscapers and developers as they have been customers for several years. I just feel this is the direction for me to go. You can research equipment to no end with good and bad things being said about all brands. I love to talk with owner/operators because they tend to take better care as they have to pay for the equipment.

/ asv rc100 #5  
Hey Mike. First things first,the natural progression you talked about with your stump grinding bus. leading into this is the absolute best and safest approach to mulching. Good for you. As far as price, when I was comparing tractors before purchasing Bobcat quoted a T-300 high flow at almost 10k more than ASV. Not sure if it was my area,a miss quote or what but for the money and what you get I feel you can't go wrong with an ASV. Plus I'm not sure other brands can cool hyd suffeciently. Also sounds like you have a good dealer, a big plus. As far as power when encountering trees my tractor head will run down on a 6" hardwood and barely change engine pitch. You didn't mention what brand head you were demoing or what brand you plan to buy. I've done an increadible amount of research on different heads so let me know what brands and I share what I've found. I am running a 73" cutting width Timberax, It makes great use of H.P. but has it's drawbacks. I go into detail later. Right know I also have a carbide cutter demo at a job site to run and see what I think. I have given stump grinding a little test but around here to much competition and that's not really the direction I would like to go. But I'm glad it's a good bus. for you. Talk soon. Robbie
Maka, I received your email and I be in touch with him this weekend.

/ asv rc100
Robbie, the head I used today was the loftness carbide cutter(63" cut), sales rep wanted me to run the timberax. I told him my demo with cat( with cat brand head) and asv(with fecon head) had been with carbide cutters and prefered to run the carbide cutter so he agreeded and had one shipped in from another location. Overall I liked all 3 cutters, but I prefer the fecon at this point. Material stopped up the heads at least twice on cat and loftness head but not any on the fecon head. Overheating is a key concern for me also. bobcat claims to have addressed that with the 06 models. 07 models will have an increased cooling capcity of 30 percent. They will also have a forestry package and a bobcat head made by fecon. Price is basically the same on the 2 machines coming in around 75 grand. maybe you can PM me about price should you feel prices are unreasonable, also to discuss hourly rates for work. I have a good feel for my hourly rate along with what the market is getting in this area. Thanks, mike

/ asv rc100 #7  
Hey Mike, The cat head has to be made by someone, it's probably a magnum or something. not bad just narrowing down the search. My dealer recently watch a fecon thought it left to big of shreds. You can further process them by going back over if this is an issue. You need to run a Timberax just for comparision. I like mine because it takes more material to bog down than carbides and leaves finer chips in one pass, But at the cost of having to sharpen every 2-8 hours. It's just choosing your battles. The 75k sounds pretty good I must have been miss quoted by bobcat here. I will PM you with other info soon. Robbie

/ asv rc100 #8  
Did one of you guys by the Loftness Carbide Cutter off of eBay (250061116831)? Let me know.

I wasn't sure if it was a scam or not. Smelled a bit like a scam, but if not, it was one good deal.

/ asv rc100 #9  
Hello all. I sure didn't, my demo head and timberax came from my local dealer. My dealer even had to replace the drum on the carbide cutter for it was out of balance. Try doing that without factory backing. I'm not a real fan of ebay, My sister-in-law runs a business on there but I still don't like it. I like to touch and feel what I'm buying. Really like to demo first too. Robbie

/ asv rc100
Yes, I stated the cat 287 to have a cat head simply because the cat rep claimed to have no idea who made it.I have not used a blade cutter due to the issue of frequent sharpening. It may be a bad decision but I feel the carbide cutter is a given. I am very impressed with the average life of the carbide cutters. I have very much experience with the carbide teeth on stump cutters. I always tell customers the end product can be anything they desire if money is not an object. If I cannot do it,I will sub-contract the necessary services to achieve the end result. Correct me if I am wrong, but does any cutter truely leave fine mulch such as that sold in bags at Lowes.I am not going to promote my services as a park like setting when finished.(as far as the mulched material) Also, the 75 grand included the forestry package.

Last edited: