Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #1  

burnetma

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758
I finally got the opportunity to perform a field trial on both machines thanks to the fine people at Mabie Brothers. This is the first time that I have ever operated any form of mulching head, so I am looking at this from a novice's view point. Please note that the comparison isn't truly apples to apples so let me set up the scenario.

Unit One: ASV RC100 with properly sized 63" cut Fecon Bullhog with no pressure or RPM guage.
Hydraulic HP = 65
Hydraulic Flow = 38 GPM
Hydraulic Pressure = 3300

Unit Two: ASV SR80 with properly sized 63" cut Loftness Carbide Cutter with standard pressure guage.
Hydraulic HP = 48
Hydraulic Flow = 30 GPM
Hydraulic Pressure = 3000

Due to the difference in hydraulic flow, it was not possible to switch out the heads, thus I had to keep that in mind during the trials. I will try to discuss only the cutting heads in this thread and save the RC100 vs. SR80 observations for another thread.

Tests to be performed:
1. Compare ability to cut various materials from grass to trees.
2. Compare ability to mulch various materials from briars to trees.
3. Compare final mulch sizes.
4. Compare features and ease of use.
5. Cost

Observations:
First let me say that these are very heavy cutters and it was obvious when moving the heads. Both heads appeared to have some use prior to the demo but the teeth appeared to be in compariable condition and near new.

Both heads cut fine materials surprisingly well. My first impression was that these heads would not cut grass and briars well, but both did a great job. I mowed several paths over 40 feet long with acceptable results (as good or better than a rotary cutter). I cut down a total of 4 trees (2 per cutter), all in the 6" diameter range. This operation was effortless for both machines.

I mulched everything from overgrown weeds to trees and stumps with both heads. Both machines did an excellent job. I found the Loftness a little easier to mulch with and was able to get a little smaller pieces, but I think that was due to operator not machine. Both machines when working trees and stumps produced a stringy mulch of max fiber length of about 3". I think anybody would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

As for features, the Loftness comes from the factory with two nice features. First, the hydraulic pressure guage on the head. This will help indicate the load on the hydraulic motor and stall. I found this particularly useful when stump and tree grinding. The Fecon offers two different pressure guages and a tach for an extra cost. Second, the Loftness has free swinging arms that can be used to drag material to a better position for mulching. This is a HUGE help. Fecon does not offer this feature, but it could easily be fabricated and added to the Fecon head.

Cost is a push for compariable features. The two companies have different cost structure, but the end result is about the same.

Summary:
I honestly could not declare a winner, within the limited time of the demo. Both heads performed equally well. I was able to stall the Loftness head more easily than the Fecon head, but this was most likely due to the difference in hydraulic pressure (HP), not the design of the head. I would have to live with both heads for several days to see any meaningful differences. Sorry, but it is a push...

Mark

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #2  
Hey Mark.

Excelent report. Just the facts. Also you did yourself a favor by running the same course.

As to the weight, now you know how I got into trouble. My head is about 400lbs. heavier than the carbide.

The gauge is a big help but you could learn to feel the head and get around that. But still is a good tool. The bars on the carbide are priceless, I use mine regularly. My only complaint is I wish they were hyd. It takes time to drop the head and drag material and then bring the head back up. If they were hyd you could drop the hooks and pull material as you were back dragging. I plan to do this on mine as soon as money and time permit.

Also if the SR-80 was stuggling with the weight that couldn't be good for the machine in the long run.

From your report sound like either head would serve you well. When do you plan to make a decision????

Again good report. Robbie

P.S. Talk about a head that mows grass well, my reel style timberax. A little pricey for grass cutting!!!!!!

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison
By the way, attached is the pictures of the results of the Carbide Cutter working a 6" diameter tree. As you can see there isn't much left. You can also see that I was working in really soft wet ground and the ASV's left no significant ruts.

Attachments

• Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 1,161
   / Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #4  
I think that is the first picture of the finished product I have seen, better than I thought it would be.

Thanks.

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #5  
I'll try to post some pictures of the beaver dam project I just finished. The place doesn't even look the same.

Ted i could have used your excavator expertise on that job. My little brother came along and saved the day(s). He's run larger units mostly but was far better and more effecient than I. I was learning quickly but I needed to be in my 100. He took that 161-3 places I would have never dared. EVER!!!.

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #6  
I would really like to see some more pictures!

I did site work for 12+ years for a small company before I bought some little toys and went out on my own so I have a few years in bigger machines too....

A few weeks in one and you'd be a pro.

Bring on the pictures...

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #7  
I just got back from a Magnum demo. I only have the Loftness CC demo at this same location to compare to but the Magnum seemed to be the stronger unit and recovery time was better. The operator is new to these type of attachments but was much better/quicker with the Magnum. One of the Magnum reps was from Alabama and he got in and showed what it could do with an experinced operator...wow, he was moving and the finished product was very nice. Might be the one for me...I stilll haven't seen the Fecon in person though. After seeing this run I almost think the Loftness CC had something wrong with it, the Magnum was that much better.

Ted

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #8  
Hey Ted

Proofs in the pudding right. Seeing is believing and from your description the magnum sound tough. I've seen there ads and read a few reports and they are claiming to be the fastest recovery time. The ads also say the lightest and toughest. To me the toughest is null and void because most heads are built like tanks. But I've read they have switch to a new hyd motor that gives them the reccovery time. Sound like I'll have to demo everything before I buy another for all the improvements are leading to an even playing field.

One thing to also remember is the loftness turn at 1700 rpm with most others running 2000+ rpm. Not making excuses just for comparison.

What tractor were they running the magnum on???

As always someone who's been doing this for years and doesn't own the tractor can run the heck out of it. If we break it we have to fix it.

With your contact on bradco's sounds like your set.

I'm a big fan of my timberax but there is just no way of getting around the blade issue. I have to admit it would be nice to not have to worry about sharpening the blades. And the first time you found a rock garden you not be my friend anymore if you bought a timberax!!!!!!!

I ate a little asphalt today with my head, didn't hurt the blades much at all. But they wern't that sharp to begin with!!!

Robbie

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #9  
I didn't forget about the picture but I apparantly erased them from our digital camera. I found a few more but I'm still fighting my computer to get them posted. It keeps putting them in a format that is to big to upload onto TBN. I'll get the set i gave my boss at completion of the project and get them on here somehow, someway.

/ Fecon Bullhog vs. Loftness Carbide Cutter Comparison #10  
he was running the Magnum on a RC100. The reps were good guys who really took the time to explain all the features of the head. I found out the rexroth motor can be adjusted for different gpm flow rates, unlike the Loftness which switches motors. They even pulled out a tachometer to check the rpms before he got started. The belt drive actually has teeth in the rubber, no slipping. I think the Loftness has a v style belt. He had extra teeth to show, $120 a piece but they are two sided. I asked about the "rock teeth" but he said they did a poor finished job. 3/4 inch thickness for the drum, competion has 1/2 thickness. They also all come with the front trap doors. Can be adjusted down to 1 1/2 inches but rolled forward will get in to the ground more. If I remember more I'll post, I'm sure I am forgeting half of what I was told.

Ted