Ford 555C backhoe questions

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions
AGGGHHHHH,,, Dirthog, numbers like that scare me :)

The spools I am guessing are down there lower right side of the cab, just behind the hyd filter? I have two bolts missing out of that box so I need to take it apart and look anyway, might find some answers at that point.

I wanted a thumb, and found these
loader forks | bucket forks | asphalt cutters | Guest Industries

The one they reccomend for this hoe is over $2K..... Aggghhhhhhhh

Time to look for used or fabrication :) Or more then likely a combination of the two :)

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #22  
Good choice going with the 4x4 , I wish mine was ( 580 super e ) , no cab

Ok, did snap a couple of pictures today.

The joystick definetely "twists" so I assume this will be the control. Got to have something to activate to really know I guess.

I did discover Friday night that my dipperstick can exceed the tensile strength of a 4 X 4 post. I was pulling and working it like a tooth, and it was not budging, finally it seperated, Man sounded like a bomb going off. It was scary. pic 2031

Other Alan scary lesson of Friday was that I wanted to scootch back a bit, and I was in backhoe mode, so I figured I could boom out, claw, then boom in bringing myself backwards. So,, raise the outriggers a bit (mistake) raise bucket so I have less drag,,, hmmmm probably a mistake, boom out, lift up,,, all is well, then get a little off balance................. Anyone got some new drawers handy :O It probably only tilted about 4" but man it felt like 4'

So, questions of the novice backhoe operator.

I cannot curl, when I am in float. Is that normal? (front bucket)

Any idea what it is on the upper right boom knuckle that is broken off, it is a piece of cast? (see picture 2030

I broke or disconnected something on the seat lever that locks in the seat from circling and cannot get it re-engaged. They have welded a plate over top to mount the aftermarket seat on. Anyone played with this? I am figuring I have to take off the plate to work down in there. I am wondering if I can pull the entire assembly off the post in the floor? 2028

Thanks for taking the time and explaining things too the Rookie :)

Attachments

• DSCN2026.JPG
    DSCN2026.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 949
  • DSCN2028.JPG
    DSCN2028.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 767
  • DSCN2030.JPG
    DSCN2030.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 1,731
  • DSCN2031.JPG
    DSCN2031.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 702
   / Ford 555C backhoe questions #24  
Not a 555 but my 535. What a beast it is!IMG_0205.JPG

OK figured out that I was moving the wrong lever. :embarresed) and my seat swivel was pre broken for me. It works marginally, another small welding project of many that are yet undone :)

Now I need a name for my Hoe,,,, Roxanne came to mind (think Eddie Murphy in 48 hours) but Rox might get mad at me :)

Think I sold Bob the bobcat again yesterday, so if it comes through, I will go pick up the forks for the hoe with a bit of that money. This guy gave me a deposit so at least I am $100 ahead if he changes his mind.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #26  
That 4x4 wouldn't phase the ford backhoe they have strong hydraulic's i cant believe how they can do the work they do.Did you get ford 4 lever controll's on the backhoe or the wobble stick controll's?

Wobble sticks. I like that a lot better.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #28  
on a side note, my septic guy was gracious enough to help us out the other day when we were setting the single wide.... he asked if he could leave his NH 555 (extend-a-hoe no less) ... i said "as long as you need man"

so i have had one parked in my front yard for the past 2 weeks.... i have yet to get up the nerve to ask if i could "use it" for an odd job or two if its just sitting there :D

Picked up a set of Forks today.

$300

Lot cheaper then anything else I was finding, hope I do not need to modify too much to make them work.

Attachments

• DSCN2059.JPG
    DSCN2059.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 706
OK, so she is now named Lil, in deference to Rox on these forums. :D

So I am thinking THUMB to do these small tree's and this is the best deal I have found so far.

backhoe excavator thumb model MT1240 9

The gentleman there suggested with what I am describing, removing bunches of small 1" to 1.5" caliper trees that a mechanical would be fine.

Has anyone dealt with these folks? or have one of their products?

Open to suggestions.