Ford 555C backhoe questions

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #41  
Alan,

Does yours have the Perkins engine? You might want to take a look at the Alternator. Mine came with a piece of junk East Eruopean model that was just about wothless. It went out and I replaced it with another of the same because I didn't know any better. It died on me rather quickly and I returned it to get anothere. That's when one of the guys in the parts department told me I'd never get one that was any good and that I should go to a specialty alternator/starter business in town. They sold me a Bosch alternator that solved all my problems.

The same thing happened with my starter. Same piece of junk company that made the alternator. I went to the same place and put a Bosch unit in. Both have worked flawlessly for three years now!!!

Eddie

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions
:eek: I am not even sure which engine it has in it too be honest.

I do have an Alternator / Starter rebuilder that we use that when I do need them fixed or repaired has always done a good job for me.

You may or may not find this funny, but if you want to talk about expensive starters for what they are, start dealing with Lawnmower starters. They are ridiculous.

Right now it is all working, but my Positive battery cable is pretty darn flaky. Will probably change that when I have time...... (I think that will be next time it fails to start, the TIME will magicly appear. :( )

Thanks for the heads up. I hope my alternator is a good one, it was just put on before I bought it :)

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #43  
Make sure the battery is good and fully charged any of the small altenators they use now will burn out rather quickly if you are trying to charge a dead battery have had lots of them brought into our dealership that people claimed were bad and wanted warrenty every mfg will turn it down if you don't have good batterys

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #44  
Alan did you learn your lesson???

Never get your wife and Ho in the same zip code, let alone have one ride the other. You are asking for a life of pain, my friend...

Roger that Rex... :) Only thing I am worried about is that the wife might enjoy Lil's company more than mine :(

After Hanna settled down a bit, (and her hand is healing) I think they are back on speaking terms :)

So I was moving the tree's last night as you and Eddie had said, I was able to curl most up and pinch between dipperstick and bucket and pivot them too the side.

I was doing much better at standing the back end up on the hoe, and shuffling sideways without driving around. One of those techniques that I understand, but need to get much smoother on.

The thought came to me last night that I need a grapple on a front bucket, either the hoe's or the NH 1925's to move the brush pile's away. I think that would actually work out cheaper then the thumb I found, and probably have more immedieate and varied uses.

Trying to move the trees and other debris to the burn pile was a challenge. (I don't like getting my lazy butt off the seat :) )

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #47  
Part of the bucket position indcator (sp?)?

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #48  
i have ford 555c extravator runs great it wont go into gear forward or reverse sometimes. it seams to be some kind of electrical issue we have gotten it to go a couple of times by wiggleing wires and messing with the shifter.just got lucky.we cant get it to go now anybody ever had this problem or an idea as to were to start? thanks

Hi Woodtick, I posted a similar question, search on transmission problems, the short answer is that it is electrically controlled and any of the 3 disengaging buttons can cause the problem, the wiring between them, or the solenoids. Just going to have to start going over that stuff and see if you can duplicate the problem, or maybe just see a fault, I have not spent the time needed fixing my problem yet, but my first place to look as I use mine in the woods a lot is the wiring underneath and see if a stick has not separated something. That is what happened with my alternator wiring.

Good luck, intermittent problems are a booger.

Here is a direct link.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...0-555c-ford-backhoe-transmission-jumping.html

Last edited: