Ford 555C backhoe questions

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Somehow I think I will have a lot of them. Got most of them answered at the dealer that I could think of, but as usual, thought of more after I left.

Are the keys for these like my tractor? All the same?

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #2  
I bought one last year for a 555b they where all the same for the swich i have.They might have two different swich option's offered you have to look up in the book at the dealer and match your switch.The gas cap key is what cost the buck's you will find out there like gold, protect it .

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #3  
the keys for 455, 555 and 655 a,b,c,d all take same key for ignition.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions
Thanks Guys!

So question #2, my shifter is "loose" hi time machine, anyone ever changed or repaired this?

Here is the proud pappa with his HOE :)

My fuel cap does not have a lock on it. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Attachments

• DSCN2012.JPG
    DSCN2012.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 3,891
   / Ford 555C backhoe questions #5  
Nice ford !!Loose as in you can remove it? Will it go in gear ?Does it go in the right gear?It could be a few thing's .

Can't remove it, loose as in it has a lot of slop, and I have to hold my mouth just right to get it too drop into gear.

One thing that I do like about having bought from a dealer, is I called this morning, and was able to talk with a very experienced parts guy on that machine, who knew my particular machine (from the guy that had it before)

He said there is a cottered pin in there, and that they sometimes get loose and worn, sometimes can be tightened, sometimes must be replaced. $12 he has it on the shelf if I need it. He also said there is a cup in there I may consider changing.

That is certainly a benefit of having bought from a dealer for the product.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #7  
Alan,

I have a New Holland backhoe also and have found the parts guys and mechanics there to be the most helpful of them all. I don't know if it's just the way this office is run or not, but they will go out of there way to help me out and even tell me of other places to buy parts that I've needed for allot less money. They told me to buy my starter from a company that deals in just starters and alternators at a HUGE savings. The also told me about a guy who rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and could get me the parts I needed for my cylinders allot cheaper then buying the full kits from them. Those kits cover allot of differnt cylinders and you pay for stuff you never need. New Holland is also terrible about ubdating parts in a cylinder. If you have an old syle piston and need new seals, they will only sell you the new seals and you will have to buy the new piston. Some of those pistons cost over $200!!!

Do you have a set of large wrenches yet? You really need to think about geting a set if you don't. Buy a set that goes to at least 1 1/2 inches and has as many sizes as possible. You wouldn't believe how many hose fittins and bolts very in size by just 1/16 of an inch. Overall, the 15/16 and 7/8 seem to be the most common on mine, but I have used the 1 1/2 inch to get the hoses off my hoe stick.

If your cylinders start to leak, you'll need a spanner wrench desinged for removing the end caps. Nothing else works as well.

Eddie

I have a pretty good set of tools, I go up through 3/4" drive stuff, and the occasional 1" drive and have a 1" impact for when I want something to happen :) As my dad says, "come or Bleed"

I also have snap-on Crowsfeet up to 2", At one point in life I was an aviation mechanic, and have always been a tool junky.

I do not have the spanner set that I think those cylinders wil take, but will probably pick it up, but I already have sat down with the hydraulic shop that we use here at my day job, and they had told me for seals, packing's, cylinder stuff and of course hoses, they would hook me up :) Man, I hope I don't need it, but the reality is that I am sure I will be visiting them. I also deal with a specialized cylinder rebuilder through my work that does it all when it comes to cylinders including building new one's if required, but they have done some of my very specialized weird cylinders at work for 25% of the cost of what the factory was quoting, and that included them coming in and removing and re-installing it. (and I am Lazy :) )

Next thing I want to figure out is how to do the front glass. There are shards remaining in the glue that at least need to be removed before I cut myself. I think I will call the glass guy we use with the mowing business and get some reccomendations.

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #9  
I've never repaired the glass on a tractor, but I've seen it done on homes. To get the glue loose, they use a propane torch. Just heat it up until they can get it out. It might work. LOL

Good to hear your so well equiped and already have all your connections lined up. None of the work I've done on tractors is all that dificult, but figuring it all out is what kills me. Once I know what I need to do, then it's very straight forward.

Eddie

/ Ford 555C backhoe questions #10  
AlanB said:
Thanks Guys!

So question #2, my shifter is "loose" hi time machine, anyone ever changed or repaired this?

Here is the proud pappa with his HOE :)

My fuel cap does not have a lock on it. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Gawd,,,,,I SWEAR that's my old 555!!!! Man, that's freaky!

Mind if I ask what you wound-up payin' for it?