Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #1  

DirtyWorks

Silver Member
Tractor
ASV RC-100, '07 272c Cat ,Kubota 080 with Cimaf Head, Cat 257 MTL, JD 450c, Kubota 3440 4wd CUT w/ fel
Hey Robbie (and the rest of the mulchers) can I get some third party advise on the Rayco 87L against the ASV when used primarily as a mulcher? I have tried to compare hydraulic horsepower to each other but mabey my figure are wrong. BTW the Rayco I'm lookin at has the 1250? head made by FECON. any drawbacks? advantages? It will be tough getting used to steel tracks but I hope for mulching primarily it will be a good trade off.
Thanks in advance for all the help:D

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry
ps inregaurds to the Rayco the 87 L and the 87 FM, why does the FM with the same pump and engine have such a higher HHP?

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #3  
Hey Dirtworks. This I happen to know something about. Unless you are looking at a existing 87 forget it. For less money and better manuverability the ASV wins. Know before get onto me for knocking Rayco you are in luck. They have discontinued the 87 and replaced it with a 100 H.P. armed loader. From the specs it looks pretty good, almost identical to the RC-100. It would last longer than a ASV in an mulching environment, built like a tank and then some. The difference detween an "L" series and an "FM" are the loader arms verses a front carrier. The front carrier models have more hyd flow. I didn't even know about Rayco when I bought mine. I have demoed a c130 and it's a tough tractor. Pretty good price just seeing what direction the business goes. As far as the heads I thought Rayco used FAE heads?
For a first tractor and longjevity it's a pretty safe route. The metal tracks will just dictate some preplanning or missed sensitive jobs. But you will get into more larger jobs than smaller. Robbie

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #4  
But I forgot to answer your question. I think a RC-100 is a little stronger then a 87 and a bit cheaper. Know back to the above thread.

Thanks Robbie! I appreciate your insight. the 2004 87L is the piece I'm looking at real serious. $60K "slightly" used 400 hours total only 160 on the engine story goes that on all 04 raycos they came with a factory recall and when a machine went in 4 service they would change out to a new engine. some of the sensors for the temp did not work corrrectly so they would change to new sensors and new engine. Kinda taking care of the customer before the problem is known. This particular machine kept blowing a fuse but found it was due to a rubbed wire @ the ocupant switch under the seat. Has only been a factory demo never sold! I currently have a 257 Cat with the ASV undercarrage and know that the rubber won't last long. was hoping the tripple grousers would not be as aggressive as singles. The head may be FAE but I know that the FTX 90 FECON is made by rayco so I assumed that Rayco used the same head but I may be wrong (Has happened).:rolleyes:
The rayco seems to be the right choice and I decided to go the loader route 1 for the versitlity and two for the added reach when getting tall bent over skinny trees covered in kudzu. Can your ASV out cut the average Rayco? Will I bennefit from the pressurized cab and place to put rear hydraulic skidder style winch?

I also have a line on a Gyrotrac but it is the GT10 with swinging head not the planer style:( . I can not find the GT 13 used anywhere and 200K for a new one is out of the question right now. The GT 10 is actually an ASV with paint

Mabey later get the 140 rayco after I know that I can make the payments and just get my feet wet for now? I have broke down the operating cost and can e-mail them to you for your enjoyment! My target customer base will be private landowners and hunters for now but who knows. Would like to get into govt contracts.
Hope the biz picks up in the ATL for you. Have you took the full time plunge yet?

Last edited:
   / Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #6  
Hey there Dirty,
Wondering if you ever ran a head on your 257? Presuming its a high flow 257...I'm looking for ANYONE who has...Sorry bout jumping out of topic...
regards,scott

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #7  
Okay, good facts. The engine story explains alot. I have seen a few 87's for sale and wondered why most have new engines. Good "problem" for you, A nearly new engine.

I gather from the details you are purchasing the tractor from a Rayco dealer. This is also good. Two things to ask. Do they have a loaner or such in case yours goes down you can keep running. Also try to get a new set of teeth thrown into the deal.

The tractors (Rayco/fecon) are the same, just the heads are different. Rayco uses FAE drums inside there own head and the fecon's run there's. As far as cutting, I think a RC-100 would cut a little better but not enough to matter. You learn to use what you own. You will learn quickly and it will much good. The Rayco salesman who brought the c130 for me to demo said with care a triple growser can tread "lightly".

I personly like you prefer loader arms instead of a fixed mount.

I have personally demoed a gyro GT-25 and it was the baddest machine I have ever run. But so the price tags. I can't justify that kind of money. It doesn't cut "that" much better. I also don't like swinging teeth.

I think your plan sounds good. Let one lead into the other. Plus develop a good relationship with the Rayco people and they should give a good deal on a 130. Maybe even a demo of that size also. You can buy tractor all day long, finding the work is the kicker.

Still holding onto the security blanket (fulltime job). But getting close, I am having a hard time keeping up with my mulching jobs. Were booked a month out right now. I think it's time.

Robbie

Hey Scott, been following your threads with some interest but sorry I only have standard flow. Good Luck on your decision! You may be limited to a daveco mower:( The 257 has been an awesome machine though, she has the heart of a D-3. Just dosen't know she is little! I will keep her and use the grapple for stacking the big logs and the smaller stuff. been thinking bout getting a firewood processor for the logs as I can't see leaving money laying around rotting. Keep the firewood stacked on pallets to dry till winter, then wrap in plastic and place on bed of customers trucks with the 257 and forks. no delivery and one set price. Plus all who come to get wood will see the mulcher and therefore more leads!:D

Thanks for the encouragement Robbie. Its all up to THE MAN. everything in His due time I suppose. The Rayco dealer said he will through in 11 new teeth so I might try to push him for the other 17:rolleyes:

Sounds like work is picking up in GA. Is it from the website or the open house(how did that go?) Come on tell us how you got all the work!
BTW there are only two guys that I know of in the area and one is primarily 45 miles to the north on the other side of a large town and the other is down the street from me with a 287xps with a cat head. His machine is only around his house about one or 2 weekends a month so I figure he stays busy:rolleyes: but I have yet to see any of his finished work anywhere! He also has a mini-ex for foundations and footings he can fall back on.
Sorry to get so long winded.Yall write back with marketing ideas!

/ Rayco 87L vs ASV 100 Forestry #9  
DirtyWorks said:
Thanks Robbie! I appreciate your insight. the 2004 87L is the piece I'm looking at real serious. $60K "slightly" used 400 hours total only 160 on the engine story goes that on all 04 raycos they came with a factory recall and when a machine went in 4 service they would change out to a new engine. some of the sensors for the temp did not work corrrectly so they would change to new sensors and new engine. Kinda taking care of the customer before the problem is known. This particular machine kept blowing a fuse but found it was due to a rubbed wire @ the ocupant switch under the seat. Has only been a factory demo never sold! I currently have a 257 Cat with the ASV undercarrage and know that the rubber won't last long. was hoping the tripple grousers would not be as aggressive as singles. The head may be FAE but I know that the FTX 90 FECON is made by rayco so I assumed that Rayco used the same head but I may be wrong (Has happened).:rolleyes:
The rayco seems to be the right choice and I decided to go the loader route 1 for the versitlity and two for the added reach when getting tall bent over skinny trees covered in kudzu. Can your ASV out cut the average Rayco? Will I bennefit from the pressurized cab and place to put rear hydraulic skidder style winch?

I also have a line on a Gyrotrac but it is the GT10 with swinging head not the planer style:( . I can not find the GT 13 used anywhere and 200K for a new one is out of the question right now. The GT 10 is actually an ASV with paint

Mabey later get the 140 rayco after I know that I can make the payments and just get my feet wet for now? I have broke down the operating cost and can e-mail them to you for your enjoyment! My target customer base will be private landowners and hunters for now but who knows. Would like to get into govt contracts.
Hope the biz picks up in the ATL for you. Have you took the full time plunge yet?
I know this is and old thread, but did you buy the Fecon/Rayco. I will take delivery next week of my Fecon FTX90L 336 hrs, 2005, engine is fairly new with 18 months warranty left. I did do a lot of research on this equipment and I knew I didnt want a skidsteer, guys in my area are having too much problems with them. (this is not to offend anyone, just my research) I was just trying to get some imput from another owner

Willis, No at the last possible moment I backed down from the rayco. I just couldn't get the "feel" on the controls that I was used to on a CAT:( . I did go with the ASV-100 with a Magnum 165 head.It has been ok for a starter machine but you will always find bigger jobs. I will stick to the little rubber tracked machine for a little while longer and keep monitoring the economy. Seems that there are a lot of used machines on the market lately and only time will tell. A PT Gator or a GeoBoy may be in the near future if things keeps going well. Good Luck on your Venture