Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default Rail mulcher

    Anyone have specs on this thing?

    It has a boom mulcher on each side. I wonder if one person can run both at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rail mulcher-004.jpg   Rail mulcher-005.jpg   Rail mulcher-010.jpg   Rail mulcher-008.jpg  

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    i dont have specs on it.i have a shinn head and they are as tuff as they come .most heads need over 250 hp

  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    I guess this rail mulcher has 500 plus hp then, since it has two mulchers on it. I saw many dents on the cab from hitting rocks, etc.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    720
    Location
    Georgia

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    I have seen that units in picture's before. I even found who I thought made it but can't remember who it was. Since then I have found a few alternative's and I have even "paper" built one in case someone needs such a unit.
    You don't need 250 hp if your running the right head/power pack combination. I would love to show you one to prove my point.
    Robbie Hegwood
    404-379-5897

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hegwood View Post
    I have seen that units in picture's before. I even found who I thought made it but can't remember who it was. Since then I have found a few alternative's and I have even "paper" built one in case someone needs such a unit.
    You don't need 250 hp if your running the right head/power pack combination. I would love to show you one to prove my point.
    Thanks, wish I had a need for a rail mulcher. Talk about a niche machine.

    I just like to know what is what, who is who in any kind of ROW business.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Ken45101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,057
    Location
    southern Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyduty View Post
    Talk about a niche machine.
    Yes, it's a very narrow niche....about 50' wide.....but a very long niche

    Ken

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    720
    Location
    Georgia

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Picture this. A wheeled excavator, Cat has one. They make rail boggies that attach to the undercarriage. You drive onto the tracks and when your mulching, for saftey, you put down the outrigger's. Multi-purpose machine and has to be cheaper than that rail car. Could be done with a tracked excavator as well but getting onto the tracks would be a little more difficult. Look at that rail car again. The boom's are straight off an excavator. I would hate to see the build cost on that unit, plus it looks railroad owned and that is bad news for the contractor.
    Robbie Hegwood
    404-379-5897

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Robbie you dont need 250 hp on a dc head but most of them doing serious work have power packs 150- 175 hp that i have seen.

  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hegwood View Post
    Picture this. A wheeled excavator, Cat has one. They make rail boggies that attach to the undercarriage. You drive onto the tracks and when your mulching, for saftey, you put down the outrigger's. Multi-purpose machine and has to be cheaper than that rail car. Could be done with a tracked excavator as well but getting onto the tracks would be a little more difficult. Look at that rail car again. The boom's are straight off an excavator. I would hate to see the build cost on that unit, plus it looks railroad owned and that is bad news for the contractor.
    I like that idea with the rail boggies, a multi-purpose machine would be cheaper/easier to replace also, than rebuilding that dedicated machine in 10 years.

    I bet that the rail company bought that machine (500k plus) and didn't even think twice about it. Only us po folks thinks twice when spending $$$$.

  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Rail mulcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    Yes, it's a very narrow niche....about 50' wide.....but a very long niche

    Ken
    That would be a good niche contract to have, not many contractors would be willing to put up that much money and having to worry if you are going to keep the contract long enough to pay for the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cat 287C with HM312 Mulcher?
    By Pac Coast in forum Land Clearing Equipment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
  2. Moonville Rail Trail
    By DJ54 in forum Projects
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
  3. rail road rail
    By gumper48 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Oil & Fuel No fuel from Injector Rail
    By steelmountain in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
  5. Railroad track weight ?
    By MrJimi in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.