Tractor
    Cat 299D XHP, Cat 297c, Rayco C140

Default single tipped carbides

I'm about to have to order new teeth for my Cat hm415b (FAE painted black), I'm leaning towards Quadco chippers but have never tried single tipped carbides. I would think that the singles would cut way better than doubles but the finished product would but larger. I would love to get some feed back on the performance, finished product, durability of the single tipped carbides.
    Lifescapes Forestry Mulching/ Brush Cutting Services
    251-331-4475
    lifescapes-forestry-mulchling.com

Default Re: single tipped carbides

If the Quadco teeth are similar to my Loftness carbides, the single teeth last longer but leaves larger material. The double "planer" teeth produce a finer product, but shatter on the occasional rock. The single carbides will break rocks. When the last double teeth are broken, I'll go back to single carbides.
    2006 ASV RC100, Loftness Carbide Cutter, Erskine snowblower, Brushwolf 9000HF, 2003 New Holland TN65, 2014 Kubota RTV-X900, 1985 Jacobsen HR15, 1981 John Deere 400, 1979 Ford 7700, 1958 Wife

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by McCaskey View Post
    If the Quadco teeth are similar to my Loftness carbides, the single teeth last longer but leaves larger material. The double "planer" teeth produce a finer product, but shatter on the occasional rock. The single carbides will break rocks. When the last double teeth are broken, I'll go back to single carbides.
    How much larger is the mulch with the singles compared to the doubles?
    251-331-4475

Queensland & Far South Coast NSW Australia
    Tractor
    Rayco

Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.
    CTC Mulching
    Made a silk purse out of a Sows ear

Tractor

[QUOTE="tonyoz;3212848"]Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.[/QUOTE
    ]
    Thanks, Tonyoz
    How u been doing haven't heard from u in a while
    251-331-4475

Queensland & Far South Coast NSW Australia
    Tractor
    Rayco

Been flatout working for the last 8mths in areas with little or no internet service,but all is good with plenty of work.
    One thing I should mention about single carbide teeth is in soft timber they be shower than what you may all ready have, found this out the other day when I had to mow a 1000 full grown pine trees
    CTC Mulching
    Made a silk purse out of a Sows ear

Tractor

Glad to hear someone's busy in this economy
    251-331-4475

Quote Originally Posted by tonyoz View Post
    Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.
    Tonyoz is correct, the single carbides produce chunks of wood, the double carbides produce chips. My worst enemy is crab apple trees, they are a long fiber wood that does not cut well and wraps around the drum, jamming the head. Almost like trying to mulch rope. These are best suited for double carbides to chip the wood. Multiple passes will turn chunks into chips.
    2006 ASV RC100, Loftness Carbide Cutter, Erskine snowblower, Brushwolf 9000HF, 2003 New Holland TN65, 2014 Kubota RTV-X900, 1985 Jacobsen HR15, 1981 John Deere 400, 1979 Ford 7700, 1958 Wife