Dandelions!!

/ Dandelions!! #1  

RCT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2138
My yard is overgrown with dandelions. What is the best way to get rid of them and then fertilize/reseed?

/ Dandelions!! #2  
RCT said:
My yard is overgrown with dandelions. What is the best way to get rid of them and then fertilize/reseed?

Ortho Weed and Feed is what I use... it does a great job for lawns and the generic works the same...

I've never applied in the Heat of the Summer... might be OK with lots of water?

/ Dandelions!!
I was looking for something I didn't have to water after I was done. I was wondering what the best order was. Should I put down broadleaf weed killer first, then fertilizer, then seed. Or can I spread them all at once?

/ Dandelions!! #4  
Kill the weeds first, anything with 2-4-D will get rid of them. If you don't want to spray and want to use a granular product, use it just after a rain or early in the morning when the dew is still on the leaves. Granular weed control products are very finely ground and to be effective they have to stick on the leaf.

Fertilize next and then plant seed. The best time to seed a lawn is in the cool months of fall. You may want to just kill the weeds at this point and wait for fall to seed. You'll be supprised how the grass you still have will spread to fill in the spots left by the dead weeds.

/ Dandelions!! #5  
Toadhill beat me by seconds with his reply - so i dont sound like a copy cat.. LOL

You could try the broadleaf killer you spray on the yard and it attaches to your water hose.. Not sure how big a yard you have, but that would work..

OR you could buy some broadleaf concentrate and a separate hose end spray (about $12 lowes/walmart/home depot) and do it that way.. It would be a lot cheaper than buying several sprayer/bottles.. Then you also have the hose end sprayer to use for other chemicals..

At least the Scotts broadleaf killers need the leaves wet when applied so the chemicals stick to the leaf..

As far as seeding goes you are starting more than a little late now.. Getting it down and then watering it to get it to germinate before it burns up will be hard.. I know your area has been under water restrictions previously, and that new seeds needs plenty of water to keep it going. You also need to get the seed into the soil, so that means aerating or roughing up the soil by hand..

Your best bet is to wait until fall and then seed...

good luck

Brian

/ Dandelions!!
I would like to get a tow behind sprayer at some point, but right now all I have is my broadcast spreader and a 2 gallon tank sprayer. I could mix it in the tank sprayer, but it would take forever with 3/4 of an acre.

/ Dandelions!!
My Dad's mom did. They use to make dandelion soup and wine.

/ Dandelions!! #9  
The greens are very good in a salad, and the buds make great wine. Just make sure there are no dogs around as they love to use dandelion patches for their waste disposal. Sorry I couldn't help with getting rid of them. I know, to a well manicured lawn, they are your worst headache!

/ Dandelions!! #10  
ToadHill said:
Kill the weeds first, anything with 2-4-D will get rid of them. If you don't want to spray and want to use a granular product, use it just after a rain or early in the morning when the dew is still on the leaves. Granular weed control products are very finely ground and to be effective they have to stick on the leaf.

Fertilize next and then plant seed. The best time to seed a lawn is in the cool months of fall. You may want to just kill the weeds at this point and wait for fall to seed. You'll be supprised how the grass you still have will spread to fill in the spots left by the dead weeds.

Do what toadhill says....
2-4-D is the way. Juat be careful you don't kill the wife's bushes and flowers as this stuff REALLY drifts. "2-4-D LV" still drifts but not as much. LV means low volatile as it relates to drift. I stay several feet away from plants and don't spray in the direction of anything good (except grass)