Silver Member
    Tractor
    Jazee One

Default Salt Tolerant Grass?

Part of my lawn has gotten flooded the past two winters in storms. Most of the grass seems unfazed, but where the flotsam (leaves and salt marsh straw) were left for the season, it has been smothered. I don't know what type of grass I have, and wondered what type of seed I should get? Sorry no pictures, and I won't be home for about a week. Thanks, Brian

Bronze Member

Default Re: Salt Tolerant Grass?

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Part of my lawn has gotten flooded the past two winters in storms. Most of the grass seems unfazed, but where the flotsam (leaves and salt marsh straw) were left for the season, it has been smothered. I don't know what type of grass I have, and wondered what type of seed I should get? Sorry no pictures, and I won't be home for about a week. Thanks, Brian
    Are you really sure the problem is the salt, as opposed to just being smothered? Surely any grass will die if it is covered over too deeply for too long.

If it is the salt, then a good rinse may be best, to wash out the salt. If this is a low spot that tends to trap a small lake, then your solution is to provide a way for the area to drain. Otherwise it will happen repeatedly in the future.

John

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Jazee One

The bare spots are from smothering, but if the grass is going to be flooded with salt water once or twice a year, I don't want that to kill it. Thanks, Brian

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    The bare spots are from smothering, but if the grass is going to be flooded with salt water once or twice a year, I don't want that to kill it. Thanks, Brian
    What's making the water salty?
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Jazee One

The lawn is on the banks of the Westport River, which some call an estuarie. Where we are it is mostly saltwater.

Tractor
    06 Montana 4940C/R4/FEL arched boom.

"Celebration Bermuda" grass works well for us here along the Gulf Coast. It handles the salt water very well and the heat.
    2006 Montana 4940C

Tractor
    B2320, X300

Paspalum is a seashore, salt tolerant grass that is popular in areas where irrigation must use reclaimed or de-salinated water with high salt contents. You might want to search it up and have a look.

Veteran Member

Another avenue to check out is one of the salt-tolerant fescues (creeping red fescue-hybrid w/ different branded names; ex.). I'd suggest looking into Tifway419, but it may not handle the cold temperatures as well as fescue hybrids.
    "God makes appointments with us in our disappointments. To see the pattern we must take three steps involving the heart, the mind, and the cross." - Ravi Zacharias