Salt Tolerant Grass?

/ Salt Tolerant Grass? #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
Part of my lawn has gotten flooded the past two winters in storms. Most of the grass seems unfazed, but where the flotsam (leaves and salt marsh straw) were left for the season, it has been smothered. I don't know what type of grass I have, and wondered what type of seed I should get? Sorry no pictures, and I won't be home for about a week. Thanks, Brian

/ Salt Tolerant Grass? #2  
Part of my lawn has gotten flooded the past two winters in storms. Most of the grass seems unfazed, but where the flotsam (leaves and salt marsh straw) were left for the season, it has been smothered. I don't know what type of grass I have, and wondered what type of seed I should get? Sorry no pictures, and I won't be home for about a week. Thanks, Brian

Are you really sure the problem is the salt, as opposed to just being smothered? Surely any grass will die if it is covered over too deeply for too long.

If it is the salt, then a good rinse may be best, to wash out the salt. If this is a low spot that tends to trap a small lake, then your solution is to provide a way for the area to drain. Otherwise it will happen repeatedly in the future.

John

/ Salt Tolerant Grass?
The bare spots are from smothering, but if the grass is going to be flooded with salt water once or twice a year, I don't want that to kill it. Thanks, Brian

/ Salt Tolerant Grass?
The lawn is on the banks of the Westport River, which some call an estuarie. Where we are it is mostly saltwater.

/ Salt Tolerant Grass? #6  
"Celebration Bermuda" grass works well for us here along the Gulf Coast. It handles the salt water very well and the heat.

/ Salt Tolerant Grass? #7  
Paspalum is a seashore, salt tolerant grass that is popular in areas where irrigation must use reclaimed or de-salinated water with high salt contents. You might want to search it up and have a look.

/ Salt Tolerant Grass? #8  
Another avenue to check out is one of the salt-tolerant fescues (creeping red fescue-hybrid w/ different branded names; ex.). I'd suggest looking into Tifway419, but it may not handle the cold temperatures as well as fescue hybrids.