Moles?

/ Moles? #1  

devildog1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's
I'm having a problem with moles!:mad: I recently had a project of replacing a drain tile that was not working well on west side of my home. I dog down to inspect drain tile and discovered that it was root bound, plugged up completely. After new drain tile was installed and covered with stone I proceeded to back fill trench with top soil that I had delivered.I seeded new top soil and the grass grew quite quick. Now the problem, moles seem to occupy that neatly patch of lawn, I can tamp down the tunnels but the next morning they are always back!:mad:. They are burring all over the freshly seed lawn, :mad:. How do I rid my area of these pests? I do not want to use poision because my two dogs are always outside with me. Does anyone have a solution to my problem?
DevilDog

/ Moles? #3  
Been there, tried about everything. I have had limited success with the mole guillotine and also a granular product sold in some nurseries and local lLwes called, I think, mole stop. Basically it contains castor oil and supposedly the moles don't like it once it percolates into the soil. Won't kill them but suppose to drive them elsewhere. Takes a while to be effective.

But, my best solution has been a spade/pick axe. Killed about 5-6 in a few weeks' time last year. On my mowing days, usually Saturday, I'd start out by running over all the tunnels with my tractor before mowing, then mowed the lawn. I'd come back about once every hour in the areas they frequented and just keenly scanned the area and could just see them pushing up the tunnels again. Few good penetrations with a spade or pick axe and no more movement and no more tunnels. Have had verry little issue since then, but have applied the Mole Stop (I think that's the name) twice this year. Lasts about 3 months at a clip.

Of course I hear a mouser-type cat is the ultimate, but my wife won't allow one.

/ Moles? #4  
Had success in the past mis-using a common product, D-Con. Yeah, I know it's for the cousins, mice and rats, but worked well. Open an active, very recent tunnel. Gently make mine shaft into it. Put down 6-8 De Con pellets. Repeat three or four places in the yard.

Just reporting what I used to do. :eek:

/ Moles?
Thanks for replying,
I'm going to try the spade route, the D-con would be easier but as I said I have a young pup and he's into everything. I thought of the gun route,(not shotgun) but maybe my .22 S&W Target with a Halo Site would take care of them. I suppose I could grab something cold and the .22 and a chair and wait for the critters.
DevilDog

/ Moles? #7  
You need to get rid of the grubs in the yard. After that the moles wil be gone... nothing to eat

/ Moles? #8  
Want me to send you one of my foxes? They make short work of moles, mice, birds, squirrels, etc. Only problem is you still end up with holes all over the lawn. The little buggers don't burry the holes when they dig the rodents out of their tunnels for supper.

Attachments

• 100_3352 (Small).JPG
    100_3352 (Small).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 372
   / Moles? #9  
I'm having a problem with moles!:mad: I recently had a project of replacing a drain tile that was not working well on west side of my home. I dog down to inspect drain tile and discovered that it was root bound, plugged up completely. After new drain tile was installed and covered with stone I proceeded to back fill trench with top soil that I had delivered.I seeded new top soil and the grass grew quite quick. Now the problem, moles seem to occupy that neatly patch of lawn, I can tamp down the tunnels but the next morning they are always back!:mad:. They are burring all over the freshly seed lawn, :mad:. How do I rid my area of these pests? I do not want to use poision because my two dogs are always outside with me. Does anyone have a solution to my problem?
DevilDog
Never admit that because yer neighbor is the one having the problem.

/ Moles? #10  
Check out The Mole Man for lots of good info.

There are lots of "remedies" out there that don't work but people think they work because the moles have just moved on to better feeding grounds.

I think the best way to get rid of moles is kill them with a shovel or shotgun or trap. The best trap I've used is the Victor Scissor Mole Trap.

I've killed 26 moles (and counting) with these traps over the last three years. Yes, I keep count...it's war, after all. I have three traps.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_6695 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6695 (Medium).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 381