Troy-Bilt Horse ID

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #21  
CR172, 17566 is not a part number in my 1982 parts catalog for the Horse Model. Could it be your tiller serial number? There are two locations to look for it. (BTW, Troy Bilt sold an optional snow plow as an accessory. :D)

Dennis, TH-1001-1 is also not a part number in my parts catalog. With it being cast, it might be a part number?

The controls on mine are limited to a throttle, the hi-low range lever and one lever that engages the tines and transmission. The tines always turn on mine whenever it is moving forward or backwards.

Mine has a shut off valve under the gas tank that you turn to turn off the gas. Could be that yours is frozen, but I think you can get replacements pretty easily.

If my single belt is worn or is the slightest bit out of adjustment, it wants to slip. If the two belt drive is less sensitive to slipping then the two belt system would the one to get. I've never felt the need to use anything other than the hi-lo range lever on mine.

Based on your questions, Dennis, I'm still not sure which tiller model you have. The briggs serial no. could be in the location shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• Tiller and Briggs serial nos..pdf
    150.2 KB · Views: 585
   / Troy-Bilt Horse ID
CR172, 17566 is not a part number in my 1982 parts catalog for the Horse Model. Could it be your tiller serial number? There are two locations to look for it. (BTW, Troy Bilt sold an optional snow plow as an accessory. :D)

Dennis, TH-1001-1 is also not a part number in my parts catalog. With it being cast, it might be a part number?

The controls on mine are limited to a throttle, the hi-low range lever and one lever that engages the tines and transmission. The tines always turn on mine whenever it is moving forward or backwards.

Mine has a shut off valve under the gas tank that you turn to turn off the gas. Could be that yours is frozen, but I think you can get replacements pretty easily.

If my single belt is worn or is the slightest bit out of adjustment, it wants to slip. If the two belt drive is less sensitive to slipping then the two belt system would the one to get. I've never felt the need to use anything other than the hi-lo range lever on mine.

Based on your questions, Dennis, I'm still not sure which tiller model you have. The briggs serial no. could be in the location shown in the attachment.

Rocks,
I would think it is the serial number.

Dennis,
I also have a shutoff valve on the bottom of my tank. It only wants to turn about a 1/4 turn. I think it's partly frozen has was mentioned above. I plan on replacing mine. Easy fix.

Bill

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
From what I can tell. With the serial number being what it is and located where it is, this is a pre 7-5-71 horse. Sill running strong....
But I thought the numbers for the engine indicated it was a '79 model......... So, either I misinterpreted the engine serial number, or it was replaced. Either way, now I know what parts to get if/when needed.....:D

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #25  
Mine is definately like CR172's. In addition, it has HORSE on the shroud with all of the information about it on the big yellow sticker......I gotta take a pic.......

Anyway....it definately has the huge slow and fast lever on the right coming up out of the right side of the transmission, actually from underneath, and then the long lever coming up from the center area of the transmission for forward and reverse............

2manyrocks......you do know that you can adjust the belt for getting rid of slippage?????.....one adjusts the block at the base of the forward reverse lever up or down.......

Gotta get out there and look on the engine shroud for that number.....THANKS.......Dennis

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
Rocks or Dennis,
Could either of you post pictures of the side shields of your tine shroud? One side of mine is missing, and I think the other has been 'modified'.... I found a new tiller shroud, but it's ~250.00........ No thanks. I can get some sheet metal and fab one myself. I'm sure one of our neighbors has welding equipment. Just really needs to be spot welded. Or I could just bolt them on.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #27  
The tricky part may be that the side shield doesn't come straight down and appears to flare out about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches roughly. I can't figure out how to measure it exactly. The side shield is 4 9/16 from the side of the cast iron tine housing, but keep in mind that the housing is inset relative to the top of the tine shield.

Attachments

• tiller side shield.jpg
    tiller side shield.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 607
  • tiller side shield flare.jpg
    tiller side shield flare.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 617
   / Troy-Bilt Horse ID
Thanks:) Yep, the one that isn't missing has been modified...... Maybe keep my eye open for a "dead horse"..... for parts....

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #29  
Mr. 2many..........Thanks for the attachment about the serial numbers......I did find my engine numbers; but golly are they ever messed up. I need to get in touch with an archaeologist to be able to decipher them.......That's a joke but pretty true. I went to B&S web sight and tried to plug in what I could get, but no luck.........Anyway, life goes on. I really thank you guys for your input and thoughts........GOD BLESS........Dennis

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #30  
It has been a pleasure to chat with both of you about these fine machines. I didn't understand the 2 belt 1 belt thing until Bill explained that the 2 belts go on the 2 speed transmission model. Now I get it.

I had one of the Troy Bilt Juniors. There weren't any side shields on it, and it always did a great job for me. If someone has really dusty soil or sensitive plants, maybe the side shields become important, but I never missed them on the Junior model.