Troy-Bilt Horse ID

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #31  
The tricky part may be that the side shield doesn't come straight down and appears to flare out about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches roughly. I can't figure out how to measure it exactly. The side shield is 4 9/16 from the side of the cast iron tine housing, but keep in mind that the housing is inset relative to the top of the tine shield.

I have a 1976 Horse that I purchased new. It has the 6HP Tecumseh engine. The side shields on the tiller shroud were straight when new but stretched to a convex shape under heavy tilling (roots, rocks, thick grass, etc.). The side shields were spot welded and one came off in heavy usage. Years ago I replaced the tiller shroud. The old shroud is long gone. I forget how much the new replacement cost, but it was not even close to $250. The tiller cost $675 in 1976.

I was looking at a 2001 Horse with the 8HP B&S the other day. This unit was for sale as new at the local Gateway Rescue Mission Thrift Store for $1,100. It looked new to me except for storage wear. The tiller housing on this tiller is much sturdier and should withstand much more abuse than the older model.

Hope this helps

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #32  
Well, I've done a search here and found several places to look, but. We just acquired an older Troy-Bilt Horse with a 7HP Kohler K161T engine. The thing runs and works great. It has the 2 belts. I have found both the owners and service manual for the engine, but I can't find any model or serial numbers on the tiller itself. I've looked all over the castings and there aren't any numbers stamped anywhere. The serial number from the engine indicates it is a 1979. Also, the labels on the tiller shroud look different from all the others I've seen. It doesn't say Horse on it anywhere. It does say Garden-Way...

Any ideas?

Bill send me an email and I will send you a manual on the tiller. wbracy@gsinet.net Put troybilt tiller in the subject matter.

Wayne

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
It has been a pleasure to chat with both of you about these fine machines. I didn't understand the 2 belt 1 belt thing until Bill explained that the 2 belts go on the 2 speed transmission model. Now I get it.

I had one of the Troy Bilt Juniors. There weren't any side shields on it, and it always did a great job for me. If someone has really dusty soil or sensitive plants, maybe the side shields become important, but I never missed them on the Junior model.

I agree Rocks. I has been a pleasure. Once we dry out, we'll put the horse to the test. As you said, the side shields may not be that big of a deal. We'll see.

Now, if I could get info over on the Vintage thread.....:(

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #34  
Wayne..........First rate help on the manual and I gotta thank YOU..........Have yet to find my serial number; but the parts manual says to look at the date cast into the side of the transmission for when it was made.........3/12/79...........If so I think I am totally lucky as this is when there were several very important changes........8 hp B&S and the single belt 2 speed transmission.............

Anyway.......Gotta thank you Wayne and ALL of you guys for the help, consideration, and patience for putting up with this ol boy..............GOD BLESS........Dennis

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
I'd like to give Wayne a big thank you also on the manual(s). He sent everything, and more, that I need for this machine. They will be a great help in maintenance and parts.

A big ol' thumbs up goes out to Wayne......:D

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #36  
I'd like to give Wayne a big thank you also on the manual(s). He sent everything, and more, that I need for this machine. They will be a great help in maintenance and parts.

A big ol' thumbs up goes out to Wayne......:D

Thank you although it is not needed. Been at the same place as most of you guys trying to find parts for Troybilt.

Guess I got spoiled when I could drive right up to the factory in Troy and get parts!

Wayne

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
Got the old horse out in the dirt a little last Saturday. Still a little too wet to do any serious work but did get a complete pass over the 65 x 25 garden at 2". The majority of this area has never been worked. Was part of the yard. We had used a sod cutter then my neighbors tractor and FEL to remove the grass.

First thing I need to do is replace the belts. They slip real bad in the heavy clay soil. The guy we got this from said he thought they were the originals.....

I will say this. All the ads and stuff you see for these being used one handed..... Well, maybe after the ground has been worked and amended. Those tines bite into that clay and the horse wants to run......:eek: Still much better than a front or mid tine machine....

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #38  
You'll save yourself and your machine a great deal of work if you break fresh ground with a plow first and then use the tiller to finish it off. When the ground is really broken, it would then be a one handed machine, but not when you're working fresh ground.

We'll have another two months of cold weather before I can get in our garden. All we have is mud and cold right now.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
I don't have a plow.....

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #40  
I don't have a Troybuilt tiller, but I have a snow plow blade for one that I am giving to my buddy. Does anyone know how it is attached and where it is attached? The Troybuilt website is totally useless.