Troy-Bilt Horse ID

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #1  

CR172

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota GR2110, 69 Ford 3000
Well, I've done a search here and found several places to look, but. We just acquired an older Troy-Bilt Horse with a 7HP Kohler K161T engine. The thing runs and works great. It has the 2 belts. I have found both the owners and service manual for the engine, but I can't find any model or serial numbers on the tiller itself. I've looked all over the castings and there aren't any numbers stamped anywhere. The serial number from the engine indicates it is a 1979. Also, the labels on the tiller shroud look different from all the others I've seen. It doesn't say Horse on it anywhere. It does say Garden-Way...

Any ideas?

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #2  
I thought they were cast into the tiller housings that are visible from the top of the tiller, but I don't know when they started doing this. Garden Way was the manufacturer for years until they were bought out. Troy Bilt was just the brand name of their tiller. The Horse was the largest tiller model they made, but there were different engine options available. Later, they made Pony, Juniior, etc. models that had smaller frames and smaller engines.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
Yep. Everything I've read says they are stamped in the transmission case above the right wheel. I can't find any stampings. The only thing I have found is a casting number, GARDEN WAY--TH-1019, on one of the handles.... This thing is all cast and ways a bloody ton.....

horse-3.jpg

horse-2.jpg

horse-1.jpg

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #4  
the serial number is stamped into the transmission casing just below the handle pivot on the right side of the tiller on a little 3/8 tab that faces straight up just below the top cover plate. most of the time you have to use a wire brush to remove the paint to read the serial number

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #5  
Randy is correct in where the serial number is located. The photos do show you have a Horse tiller. The rear tine shield is different than what I am used to seeing, yours does not have the side shields protecting the tines and containing the soil as it gets tilled. The Kohler looks VERY familar to me, mine has one was bought in 1979, and you are correct in that the decals do not look like what I am used to seeing. Are you in the USA? or some other place that might have required different decals? I ask because of your use of the phrase "weighs a bloody ton", reflects a British/Canadian influence?

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #6  
Very timely thread for me!..........I just acquired a Troybilt that I believe is a horse. The serial number that you describe above indicates that it was made in 1979 but it has an 8 horse Briggs..........The best part is is that it runs and does what it is supposed to do but just needs a bit of overdue maintenance.

A couple of questions to begin with and then I suppose I shall end up starting another thread. It does have electric start so that is why I am guessing that it is a Horse. It only has one belt. Is this correct and then do you change the belt on the pulleys for different speeds or should it have 2 belts?........I have only found an owners manual on the MTD websight that covers later years and that is what it indicates...........

Those manuals indicate that one can turn off the PTO with a clutch device. For the life of me I cannot find that on this. Did this year have those?

Anyway..........am going to use the manuals from MTD to do long overdue maintenance, tightening, adjusting, fluids, etc and am sure I will have a few more questions from you guys that have MUCH more experience........THANKS for your help.......God bless......Dennis

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
Randy is correct in where the serial number is located. The photos do show you have a Horse tiller. The rear tine shield is different than what I am used to seeing, yours does not have the side shields protecting the tines and containing the soil as it gets tilled. The Kohler looks VERY familar to me, mine has one was bought in 1979, and you are correct in that the decals do not look like what I am used to seeing. Are you in the USA? or some other place that might have required different decals? I ask because of your use of the phrase "weighs a bloody ton", reflects a British/Canadian influence?

Yes, I'm in the US. Texas to be exact. The "bloody ton" statement just came out that way......

Anyway, I've looked at that area. It is clear of paint, and there aren't any numbers that can be seen, with the naked eye anyway. You did answer another question though. The tine shield does have a side shield on one side. Apparently the other side is missing. Guess it's time to fab a side shield and paint. This thing runs great. Starts on the first or 2nd pull. The tines appear to be in really good condition. Still 'blunt'. Haven't had a chance to get it in the dirt because of all the rain we've been getting. The reverse disc will need to be replaced as it makes quite a bit noise in reverse....

Thanks for the info.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #8  
I think that the one belt -two belt thing has been discussed here in another thread before. Pictures are always good.

CR172's unit looks very similar to the one I bought in the early 1980's. The fact that the decals are still visible on the dirt shield suggests that this machine has been kept stored indoors. Mine used to have a paper label on the dirt shield with the SN, but came off years ago.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID #9  
I think that the one belt -two belt thing has been discussed here in another thread before. Pictures are always good.

Before I ask a question I do as much research, searching, that is feasible. In this case, several hours. I did not think it was rude nor ignorant to ask this question, nor to much to have it answered or at least to paste in the thread where the answer would be available.

I do not have a camera available to take a picture at this moment. I thought that a description of what I have, a 79 Horse, would be adequate for experienced folks that might know.

Two simple questions:

1. Does a B&S use 2 belts, or does it use a pulley system that is more or less stepped to control output speed of the shaft, fast and slow.

2. Does a 79 Horse have a Tines/PTO clutch lever to disengage or engage the PTO.

Thank you for your time and consideration........I find that my reply is perhaps rude, but actually I got offended and answered in kind. This is a far different reaction than I have become used to on this forum. Neighborly, kind, patient, and considerate....I don't just post questions/statements to increase my thread count.....Thanks for the help.......God bless.......Dennis

/ Troy-Bilt Horse ID
I was told by the previous owner it was kept in his barn. The labels are very legible. I'll try to post some more pics as we are snowed in today....:mad: The previous pics were from the previous owner before we ventured aprox 100 miles to get it. All the used horses in this area were going for around 8 - 900 bucks. We picked this one up for 3.... ;)

Plus, the higher priced ones were the MTD models.... Kinda like when AMF had ahold of Harley..... not the same creature....

Off topic.... here's a pic of my other baby....

king004.jpg