Find the poison ivy plant

/ Find the poison ivy plant #11  
Last case of poison Ivy I had was two years ago when I was cleaning up some low hanging boughs on some pine trees that were growing along the edge of a big lilac patch. It didn't even occur to me that there could be any PI growing in the lilacs until a couple of days later! Between crawling in it, and chewing it up with the chainsaw and spraying the juice all over, I ended up with a nasty case of oozing, blistering nastiness that made me find my way to the local clinic for a dose of Prednisone. This lasted for four agonizing weeks.

Nowadays, 2,4-D is my closest, most trusted companion when doing grounds keeping, and while I've always known what the hateful stuff looks like, I'm especially attuned to it now. No more letting my guard down and no more surprises!

/ Find the poison ivy plant #12  
you can build up a tolerance for it after a while.

/ Find the poison ivy plant #13  
Is this it? Thankfully I have never encountered it. It must be around here somewhere though.

Attachments

• p1 copy.jpg
    p1 copy.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 386
   / Find the poison ivy plant #14  
randy, Did you ever get stung by yellow jackets??? Years back Dr treating me for multiple yellow jacket stings, ask me if I got PI?? He than told me that there may be a chance that I wouldn't get PI or not as bad after get stung by yellow jackets... He said that he read about some research on Yellow Jacket stings and PI...

Just wondering if anyone else heard or experienced this??

/ Find the poison ivy plant
Is this it? Thankfully I have never encountered it. It must be around here somewhere though.

That's it NSB, I use to have several large areas that were mostly PI.

I found a couple of pics taken when I first moved here.

Attachments

• pi patch.jpg
    pi patch.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,146
  • pi patch 2.jpg
    pi patch 2.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 574
   / Find the poison ivy plant #16  
I recently had a very large dead pine tree fall ...if you had looked at the tree when it was still standing you would not have thought anything was wrong with it (other than the large vine scaling it)...it appeared to have a full canopy...
...However laying on the ground it was obvious that the tree was dead and the "canopy" was nothing but poision ivy...the poision vine was massive...over 4" in diameter...

I let the tree lay for several weeks after making sure the vine was cut at the ground and finally got the vine stripped away and burned up...

/ Find the poison ivy plant #17  
Actually, I've read elsewhere (and experienced myself) that every time you contract poison ivy, the symptoms get worse. I've had it a number of times as a child, but never this bad.

Poison Ivy Cure
"Although some people truly are immune to poison ivy, most people develop a rash after coming into contact with poison ivy or the similar plants, poison sumac and poison oak. If you think you are immune because you have never developed a rash before, keep in mind that it can sometimes take multiple exposures or several years before you finally begin to develop an allergic response to urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy that triggers the rash that most people get."

Also from Poison ivy - Cacheopedia
"Some people may be immune to the urushiol, but it is a sensitizer, so most people will eventually become allergic after repeated contact."

Finally, Poison Ivy: Complaints and Treatments - WSJ.com
"About 15% of the population is insensitive to urushiol and will never develop a reaction. For everyone else, repeated exposure tends to make the rash worse. "The dermatitis gets worse each subsequent time," says Dawn Davis, a dermatologist at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. On the other hand, a person's sensitivity tends to decline with age."

Just my $.02. :2cents:

Joe

/ Find the poison ivy plant #18  
Am I the only one who doesn't really know what the stuff looks like because at 38, spending a lifetime running around in shorts and barefooted in the woods, have never had the symptoms?

As for the poison sumac, I've come home coated with the sap (Mom never seemed to appreciate that much) with no symptoms from that either.

/ Find the poison ivy plant #19  
I let the tree lay for several weeks after making sure the vine was cut at the ground and finally got the vine stripped away and burned up...

Burning it is a really bad idea, even after years of being dead.

If a sensitive person inhales the smoke, he can die.

/ Find the poison ivy plant #20  
burning it is a really bad idea, even after years of being dead.
If a sensitive person inhales the smoke, he can die.

I waited until there were no neighbors (weekend warriors) around and a day when the winds were nominal...it was a huge pile of vines...I really had no other option other than just letting it sit there and rot which was not really an option...especially if it takes years after dying...

BTW...there is a similar tree still standing that I will have to deal with eventually...I have already severed the vine at the base of the tree...