Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541

Default Find the poison ivy plant

This is for the guys (or gals) that aren't sure what poison ivy looks like.

For those of us that know all to well what this green scourge of stone walls (roadsides, the edge of fields, and anywhere else it grows) looks like, don't point it out too quickly.

The plant is in this picture I took of an area near my woodsplitter. I've looked carefully and can only see one small PI plant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -7-30-10-010-jpg  
    .....Tim

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Find the poison ivy plant

I found it instantly, (it kinda stands out) I am suffering from a mild case on left arm now. just 5 o 6 small blister spots.
    James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I found it instantly, (it kinda stands out) I am suffering from a mild case on left arm now. just 5 o 6 small blister spots.
    James K0UA
    I just got over a very mild case last week, hope your's doesn't spread..

It jumped out at me too. I walked around the cart and there it was.. but I go on PI hunting expeditions often so my eyes (like yours) are drawn to em' I asked my wife to find it, she had to look around a bit before she found it, then asked me if she was right..she was.

Did I make it too easy?
    .....Tim

Tractor
    John Deere 3032E

Angry Re: Find the poison ivy plant

Ok, you better get good at spoting chiggars (no-see-ums, redbugs,etc) if you're bushhogging rather than poison ivy. Trust me having over 50 bites on both legs all the way up to the sweet spot isn't funny. Next time I'll tuck in the pants legs and wear long sleeves even if the temp. is 98 degrees.
    Old Dog with a new toy and sometimes neither works well.

Tractor
    2010 GC2610

Quote Originally Posted by OneMan View Post
    Ok, you better get good at spoting chiggars (no-see-ums, redbugs,etc) if you're bushhogging rather than poison ivy. Trust me having over 50 bites on both legs all the way up to the sweet spot isn't funny. Next time I'll tuck in the pants legs and wear long sleeves even if the temp. is 98 degrees.

I hear ya'. Just went 4-wheeling today, in shorts. Bad idea.
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by OneMan View Post
    Ouch! , that s~ks OM. I feel for you. We don't get many chiggers up here in New England, we have black flies in the spring, but poison ivy is about the worst for itchy aflictions here. We do have lots of deer ticks however.
    .....Tim

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

I was always better at finding PI by feel. Even in the dark I know within a minute.
    I did have one nasty attack this year. Pretty sure it wasn't PI. Woke up with a blackfly like welt behind my ear, but there are no blackflies here. Checked for more bites, none. By ten o'clock I had major problem on the side of my head. Purple and swollen. Lots of dish soap and frequent washing for a few days and it started heal up OK. Still bugs me a bit a month later. Not sure what it was.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor

When I moved in I had to do a commando raid on the huge patches we had here, with vines as thick as a water glass climbing the trees out front. This little green plant can cause 2 weeks of misery for some of us.

Here's the close up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -7-30-10-011-jpg  
    .....Tim

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

I picked it out right away, having been a boy scout in NJ in my youth.

I moved to the West coast and graduated to poison oak about 45 years ago.

I think the oak is stronger than the ivy.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by irwin View Post
    I just got over a very mild case last week, hope your's doesn't spread..

It jumped out at me too. I walked around the cart and there it was.. but I go on PI hunting expeditions often so my eyes (like yours) are drawn to em' I asked my wife to find it, she had to look around a bit before she found it, then asked me if she was right..she was.

Did I make it too easy?
    Yeah, putting it in the center of the photo, made it pretty easy
    it also seems to be the brightest plant in the photo for some reason.
    We have a lot of it here on the property, I spray the heck out of it, but always have some somewhere. Wife is not too sensitive to it, so she kills most, I get it pretty easy. This last batch was from picking up rocks that I had cleared the area with the front loader bucket, and just picked up some smaller rocks and cradled them on my left arm to take back and throw them in the bucket, Well they must have got some of the oil from the plant on them. It is clearing up now and doesnt amount to much. I Have had poison oak, a few years ago, really bad, what a mess, and lasted a long time.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast