Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    47
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Craftsman Lt 2000

    Default Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Hey guys

    I have a problem with a lot off weeds popping up again *sigh* In the spring i applied weed killer it helped after applying dozens of weed killer, but since it was so dry here in PA, the grass turned brown for about 3 weeks and now its green again this was perfect for the weeds.

    My grass type is Blue Grass, and i hope you guys have a solution to keep the weeds away.

    Oh btw i mow my grass as tall as possible to prevent the weeds from growing.
    -Flyingdutch16
    Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
    Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
    Craftsman weedwacker.
    Craftsman cart.
    Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Location
    Guernsey Co. Ohio
    Tractor
    Ford 3000

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Spray with 2,4D. Available almost anywhere. Often called weed killer because it only kills broadleaf plants, not grass. I'm guessing you used granualar weed killer, which is also 2,4D, but spraying liquid herbicide gives MUCH better coverage.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Marveltone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,313
    Location
    Somewhere north of Roseau,MN
    Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Pave it!

    Seriously, +1 on the 2,4D. It's good stuff. I use it mostly for poison ivy, but it kills all the broadleaf it comes in contact with, and it's not too hard on the grass, unless you're applying it way too thick.

    Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

  4. #4
    Super Star Member Egon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,311
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Before you mow make a trip over the lawn on your hands and knees and use a screwdriver to help pry the little devils out. Keep on doing this till their are no more weeds. Also make sure the lawn is at the proper PH level.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    47
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Craftsman Lt 2000

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Quote Originally Posted by MMagis View Post
    Spray with 2,4D. Available almost anywhere. Often called weed killer because it only kills broadleaf plants, not grass. I'm guessing you used granualar weed killer, which is also 2,4D, but spraying liquid herbicide gives MUCH better coverage.
    I forgot to mention that i did use liquid killer, but i used so much i'm afraid that i will kill the grass?
    -Flyingdutch16
    Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
    Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
    Craftsman weedwacker.
    Craftsman cart.
    Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    47
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Craftsman Lt 2000

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Before you mow make a trip over the lawn on your hands and knees and use a screwdriver to help pry the little devils out. Keep on doing this till their are no more weeds. Also make sure the lawn is at the proper PH level.
    That would be the beginning to knee surgery considering i have 1,5 acres
    -Flyingdutch16
    Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
    Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
    Craftsman weedwacker.
    Craftsman cart.
    Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Location
    Guernsey Co. Ohio
    Tractor
    Ford 3000

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
    I forgot to mention that i did use liquid killer, but i used so much i'm afraid that i will kill the grass?
    It shouldn't hurt the grass at all, but it doesn't take much herbicide. A few drops per plant will kill most weeds.You probably killed the weeds in the spring, but there are a lot of weeds that never show up until mid summer. That's what you're seeing now.

  8. #8
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    11,496
    Location
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
    I forgot to mention that i did use liquid killer, but i used so much i'm afraid that i will kill the grass?
    I don't know what you mean by "used so much". More than one application or heavy dose?

    I use broadleaf weed killer (either a brush version and/or Ortho Weed-b-gone concentrated) when the weeds are growing good. I mix according to the directions, and spray once in the spring when they pop up, and again in the early fall (when they start coming back). It will not kill bluegrass, so no need to worry.

    If it is crab grass, then you need to apply crab grass killer in the spring (as the broadleaf sprays do not work on crab grass).

  9. #9
    Super Star Member Egon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,311
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    i have 1,5 acres
    Ah, thats way to much lawn! reduce the size of it!
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    47
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Craftsman Lt 2000

    Default Re: Best way to get weeds out of my lawn?!

    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "used so much". More than one application or heavy dose?

    I use broadleaf weed killer (either a brush version and/or Ortho Weed-b-gone concentrated) when the weeds are growing good. I mix according to the directions, and spray once in the spring when they pop up, and again in the early fall (when they start coming back). It will not kill bluegrass, so no need to worry.

    If it is crab grass, then you need to apply crab grass killer in the spring (as the broadleaf sprays do not work on crab grass).
    THanks its a mix between weeds and crab grass

    This is what i used.
    Shop ORTHO Quart Plus Crabgrass Control Concentrate at Lowes.com
    -Flyingdutch16
    Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
    Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
    Craftsman weedwacker.
    Craftsman cart.
    Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Power rakes -vs- tillers for a nice lawn
    By mach in forum Attachments
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
  2. Equipment to do lawn restorations???
    By Patriot in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
  3. Weeds to Grass, Can it be done
    By FL_Cracker in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
  4. Redoing the lawn
    By Oliver550 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 11:38 PM
  5. Murray Lawn Tractor Recall
    By BB_TX in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.