Sprinklers

/ Sprinklers #1  

budlite

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
Can anybody recommend a decent lawn sprinkler? I have bought maybe 20 pulsating type sprinklers, mostly Gilmours, and they work for just a little while and then quit rotating. I have read good reviews on a Melnor 9538, but its a little spendy to buy on speculation. I have about decided that sprinklers with no moving parts are my best bet for longevity and least hassle.

Thanks

/ Sprinklers #2  
I have about 90 Weatermatic T3 Turbo heads installed and have had good life - 8-10 years without many problems. Hunter and Rainbird also make a similar type head that are supposed to be good quality but I cannot speak from experince on these brands. These are all 6" sprinklers with 3/4" supply and cover 30-50' and are adjustable with replaceable nozzles. They cost about $9 each typically.

Probably the biggest factor is the water supply (if a well supply) is to filter the sprinkler line - I use a large GE canister Filter 1" in/out and this has all but stopped issues around clogging and valve closure. I used to spend 3-4 hours getting the system started each spring due to grit in the lines and valves, and since I installed the filter 6 years ago havent had any issues.

/ Sprinklers #3  
   / Sprinklers #4  
Build your own?

i built mine using a rainbird 5000 rotary and pipe

135298d1247979081-never-have-too-much-lawn-img_0592.jpg

135297d1247979081-never-have-too-much-lawn-img_0591.jpg

135299d1247979081-never-have-too-much-lawn-img_0593.jpg

/ Sprinklers #5  
As an irrigation contractor for over 20years, I would say the old faithful Hunter PGP series, Also we have been having great sucess using TORO #800 series sprinkler, adjustable from say 40deg to a full 360deg. How many GPM are you using/ Pressure? I think you will be happy with a gear driven sprinkler,

/ Sprinklers #6  
Can anybody recommend a decent lawn sprinkler? I have bought maybe 20 pulsating type sprinklers, mostly Gilmours, and they work for just a little while and then quit rotating. I have read good reviews on a Melnor 9538, but its a little spendy to buy on speculation. I have about decided that sprinklers with no moving parts are my best bet for longevity and least hassle.

Thanks

Just to let you know, you're not alone. My "collection" of Gilmours grows every year.:confused2:

/ Sprinklers #7  
I have about 90 Weatermatic T3 Turbo heads installed and have had good life - 8-10 years without many problems. Hunter and Rainbird also make a similar type head that are supposed to be good quality but I cannot speak from experince on these brands. These are all 6" sprinklers with 3/4" supply and cover 30-50' and are adjustable with replaceable nozzles. They cost about $9 each typically.

Probably the biggest factor is the water supply (if a well supply) is to filter the sprinkler line - I use a large GE canister Filter 1" in/out and this has all but stopped issues around clogging and valve closure. I used to spend 3-4 hours getting the system started each spring due to grit in the lines and valves, and since I installed the filter 6 years ago havent had any issues.

Where might one find one of the mentioned filters?

/ Sprinklers #9  
Yep - HD - Lowes -plumbing supply houses - big cansiter filters with a 20-50 micron rating 1" in and out - be sure to install valves before and after the canister and mount it / hard pipe to make it easier to remove. I usually put some vaseline on the threads too.

/ Sprinklers #10  
The one I installed at the shop I worked at got valves before and after, plus another on the bypass pipe that came in handy when somebody "cleaned house" and threw away the box of replacement cartridiges and it took a week to get new ones from our supplier. Being able to route the water around it came in handy, though I could have just ran it without a filter. Had the O-ring gone out, then the bypass would be critical.
David from Jax