Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5303

Default Sprinklers

Can anybody recommend a decent lawn sprinkler? I have bought maybe 20 pulsating type sprinklers, mostly Gilmours, and they work for just a little while and then quit rotating. I have read good reviews on a Melnor 9538, but its a little spendy to buy on speculation. I have about decided that sprinklers with no moving parts are my best bet for longevity and least hassle.

Thanks
    The more people who become government dependents, the more likely that democracy will become a conspiracy against self-reliance.

JD 5303 MFWD, MX-7 Cutter, 522 FEL, Gill SR30 boxblade

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Default Re: Sprinklers

I have about 90 Weatermatic T3 Turbo heads installed and have had good life - 8-10 years without many problems. Hunter and Rainbird also make a similar type head that are supposed to be good quality but I cannot speak from experince on these brands. These are all 6" sprinklers with 3/4" supply and cover 30-50' and are adjustable with replaceable nozzles. They cost about $9 each typically.

Probably the biggest factor is the water supply (if a well supply) is to filter the sprinkler line - I use a large GE canister Filter 1" in/out and this has all but stopped issues around clogging and valve closure. I used to spend 3-4 hours getting the system started each spring due to grit in the lines and valves, and since I installed the filter 6 years ago havent had any issues.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ferris IS4500 Diesel ZTR; JD G100; BCS 732 w/tiller/chipper

Hunter was recommended by the local irrigation supply store. Hunter has a "full circle" operation mode so the rotor does not have to stop and reverse direction for 360 degree areas. I'll let you know in 5 yrs if they are any more reliable that RainBirds

http://http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/i35sierra.html

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Build your own?

i built mine using a rainbird 5000 rotary and pipe

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2011 JOHN DEERE 244J

As an irrigation contractor for over 20years, I would say the old faithful Hunter PGP series, Also we have been having great sucess using TORO #800 series sprinkler, adjustable from say 40deg to a full 360deg. How many GPM are you using/ Pressure? I think you will be happy with a gear driven sprinkler,

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, MF250, New Holland LS190, JD Gator 6x4

Quote Originally Posted by budlite View Post
    Can anybody recommend a decent lawn sprinkler? I have bought maybe 20 pulsating type sprinklers, mostly Gilmours, and they work for just a little while and then quit rotating. I have read good reviews on a Melnor 9538, but its a little spendy to buy on speculation. I have about decided that sprinklers with no moving parts are my best bet for longevity and least hassle.

Thanks
    Just to let you know, you're not alone. My "collection" of Gilmours grows every year.
    Mahindra 5035 PST, MF 250, Jinma LW-8 BH, Kubota 72" ZD331, NH LS190 SS, JD 6x4 Diesel Gator, SS backhoe attachment, Markham grapple, Markham stump bucket, Markham tooth bucket (awesome), 6" Jinma chipper, 72" King Kutter tiller, 72" box blade, 72" rotary cutter, 72" landscape rake, homemade hydraulic post hole digger, homemade 16' boom, homemade pallet forks

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, MF250, New Holland LS190, JD Gator 6x4

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_NH View Post
    I have about 90 Weatermatic T3 Turbo heads installed and have had good life - 8-10 years without many problems. Hunter and Rainbird also make a similar type head that are supposed to be good quality but I cannot speak from experince on these brands. These are all 6" sprinklers with 3/4" supply and cover 30-50' and are adjustable with replaceable nozzles. They cost about $9 each typically.

Probably the biggest factor is the water supply (if a well supply) is to filter the sprinkler line - I use a large GE canister Filter 1" in/out and this has all but stopped issues around clogging and valve closure. I used to spend 3-4 hours getting the system started each spring due to grit in the lines and valves, and since I installed the filter 6 years ago havent had any issues.
    Where might one find one of the mentioned filters?
    Mahindra 5035 PST, MF 250, Jinma LW-8 BH, Kubota 72" ZD331, NH LS190 SS, JD 6x4 Diesel Gator, SS backhoe attachment, Markham grapple, Markham stump bucket, Markham tooth bucket (awesome), 6" Jinma chipper, 72" King Kutter tiller, 72" box blade, 72" rotary cutter, 72" landscape rake, homemade hydraulic post hole digger, homemade 16' boom, homemade pallet forks

J_J
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

You can find these just about anywhere.

whole house filter - Google Search
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Yep - HD - Lowes -plumbing supply houses - big cansiter filters with a 20-50 micron rating 1" in and out - be sure to install valves before and after the canister and mount it / hard pipe to make it easier to remove. I usually put some vaseline on the threads too.

Tractor
    JD2555

The one I installed at the shop I worked at got valves before and after, plus another on the bypass pipe that came in handy when somebody "cleaned house" and threw away the box of replacement cartridiges and it took a week to get new ones from our supplier. Being able to route the water around it came in handy, though I could have just ran it without a filter. Had the O-ring gone out, then the bypass would be critical.
    David from Jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast