How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass.

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #1  

gdh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 HSDC, Kubota ZD 18
I have more and more "wide grass" invading my Kentucky Blue Grass lawn. I live in the country and I suspect it may be brome?? It is an almost florescent green color. How can I kill off this crabgrass appearing grass without killing the desired lawn?
Thanks,
gh

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #2  
There are products called crab grass preventers but I do not know of any product that will kill crab grass and not hurt your lawn in the process.

Roy

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #3  
There are products called crab grass preventers but I do not know of any product that will kill crab grass and not hurt your lawn in the process.

Roy

I think Roy is correct -- you have to apply the pre-emergent products in the early spring to prevent the crabgrass seed from germinating. The rule of thumb here in SC is to apply the products when the forsythia are in bloom.

Steve

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #4  
I have a lot more crabgrass than normal this year. Probably due a decrease in yard time due to 2 little ones. I sprayed with a 24d crabgrass killer a few weeks ago. It turned brown but came back. The preemergent in the springs is the best way.

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #5  
Have not heard of a 24d crabgrass killer. Do you have a brand name and info from the label. I've been under the impression that crabgrass can only be controlled with the pre-emergence treatments.

The OP seems to think he has something other than crabgrass. Either brome or quack. I think brome can be identified by a V shaped dent in the blade. That is what I recall from my kid days on the farm.

Here is a bulletin from the U of MN extension that gives some comparisons of weedy grasses, including quack, brome, and crab.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1137.html

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass.
Thanks to all for the replies. Beenthere is correct in saying that I am pretty sure it is not crabgrass as it is not clumping. It is wide-stemmed and a different shade of green. It has really taken off in the warm weather leading me to think that it must be a warm season grass. I live in SE South Dakota.
gh

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #7  
Thanks to all for the replies. Beenthere is correct in saying that I am pretty sure it is not crabgrass as it is not clumping. It is wide-stemmed and a different shade of green. It has really taken off in the warm weather leading me to think that it must be a warm season grass. I live in SE South Dakota.
gh

Take a sample of the grass to your local Cooperative Extension office. They will identify it for you.

Steve

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #8  
Post emergent crabgrass herbicides are available... active ingredient MSMA is effective, but it must be mixed and applied exactly per label... (weather temperature is important too). County extension agent would be best bet for local advice.

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #9  
gdh.....obviously a picture would help but from your description it sounds like it might be nut sedge. Does it look like this?

100_3089.jpg

/ How to selectively kill wide grass/crab grass. #10  
I have a lot more crabgrass than normal this year. Probably due a decrease in yard time due to 2 little ones.

In our area (central KY) the explosion in crab grass this year can be traced to the drought of 2 years ago. Said drought resulted in many lawns thinning out, exposing more soil to the sun the following year, allowing more crabgrass than normal to survive and go to seed, resulting in my back yard being more crabgrass than not this year. :mad:

No worries, though - I'll get 'em next year.