Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Re: Pole Saw...Comercial Grade Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Great input on the trail work...right on target with my trails...I am cursed with balsam trees...they grow like weeds here. I agree that I need to cut them at the base and just get rid of them. My trails also need to be widened a bit....larger than a Polaris Ranger and close to car size.

I do need a longer saw but not nearly as often. I have sugar maple on my home property that I need to trim up pretty high to get a bit of sunlight in. Also, some pine at our cabin that I want to limb as they grow...lower branches die out and would like to clean up the trees and let in light...really looks nice. Norway/Red pines are my hobby.

I think the problem with my manual pole saw is that it is both cheap AND dull. I think I will take a look at an upgrade of that and see how long I can get...they are exhausting working overhead...but not that many branches to trim...nothing like the work that needs to be done on the trails.

Thank You...you have been very helpful...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

A great source for pole saws (manual) ia Sherrill Tree (SherrillTree Professional Tree Climbing Gear), a professional arborist supply, that carries everything tree related. Their catalog is very informative, if you like trees. They have many different kinds. They sell an ARS 20' (item 28755) for $262 which is the same saw Sthil sells with a different label and color. They also sell the repalcement blades. The "Hayauchi" also looks nice, but I have never used one. It is cheaper ($195). I have owned three of the ARS and they are great. But be carefull with it. It can be bent if a heavy limb strikes it (or if you step on it like I did) and it may ruin the telescoping feature. I also use the pruner head (loppers) sometimes, but that is usually for trimming ornamentals or landscaping trees around the house. They will cut limbs up to 1.5" But any manual saw is tough work! For the occasional cutting high limbs around the house, they are great. But for extensive road word, you have to have power saws.

One last thing. When you cut trees down alongside the road, cut them short near the ground (but don't touch the chain to the soil!) If you leave them high, they will be like punji stakes if you ever get a tractor and will flatten your tires if you decide to bush hog wide. Found this out the hard way.

Oh, you definitely need a tractor!!! Its way more fun than chainsaw work.

I know this is an old thread but the problem stated is on going with many of us. Roadways, field edges, fence lines,etc. FMI has an attachment that will take care of this problem easily and is fun rather than hard work. Check it out Lil Woody tree limb trimmer - YouTube

Tractor
    John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator

That is a screaming winner!
    How much?

The high flow model is $13,995.00.

Just made a better video on youtube forestry mowing/tree trimming - YouTube

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

WOW!!!!!!! I want one!!

Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

I have a Stihl HT 131, I think it works very well, I don't use it all that often ( once or twice a month ) but when I need it I am glad I have it. It may be a bit heavy fully extended for some but I don't think it is that bad.
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported with .025 pop up Muffler Mod
    Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
    Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
    STIHL 009 1998
    STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
    STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
    STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower2012

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

I have a Stihl Ht75 and HT110.... The 4 stroke is awesome. Easy to start. I would only buy Stihl IMHO.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I have thought about buying a gas pole saw but so far have been using a Florian manual 12' pole saw with good results. I seem to be able to cut alot more branches than I wan't to pick up in a very short time. The big thing I see is that while the gas saw is better for large branches it is also noisy and cumbersome, the manual pole saw is well "quiet" and easy to use up to about 18' height and being so light seems to be a wash on elbow grease required to use it. The older I get the more I like the quiet approach and a good manual pole saw with a sharp blade does a good job for me. I should add that I like Stihl products and if I ever decide to go with the gas powered pole saw that is the first thing I would look at.

Gold Member

I have both a power pole pruner and manual pole saw. I have a Stihl Kombi system with nearly all the attachments including the pole pruner with the carbon fiber extension. You can get up to about 12-feet with that setup - like you, I use the manual pruner a lot for branches over 12-feet as I don't like standing on a ladder wrestling with a piece of power equipment.

Using the manual pole pruner is much easier - and as you've pointed out - quieter. Stihl makes a line of manual pruning tools that are geared for professionals. I have large loppers and a pole pruner from them. I can interchange the pole pruner head to the long handle (18-foot) if needed - which is why I like the Stihl equipment as it is modular.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast