What kind of grass seed?

/ What kind of grass seed? #11  
Some sorts of weeds (in our case sorrel) show the soil is sour or not. Ours is sour. We put the lime into the garden's soil each spring before tillling.

The folk wisdom here (or at least in parts of the southeastern US) is that broomsedge is an indicator of low soil pH. But the experts say that it is often, but not always, the case.

Alabama Forages

Just curious. What grass species are used for lawns in your area?

Steve

/ What kind of grass seed? #12  
The folk wisdom here (or at least in parts of the southeastern US) is that broomsedge is an indicator of low soil pH. But the experts say that it is often, but not always, the case.

Alabama Forages

Just curious. What grass species are used for lawns in your area?

Steve

Steve, most prevalent species of grass used for lawns here are:
couple of sorts of Poa pratensis, few sorts of Festuca rubra (fescues), Lolium perenne, Phleum pratense (Timothy grass).
Suppose similar like you use.

/ What kind of grass seed? #13  

Steve

We don't have broomsedge, so we have to take count of high soil pH vegetal indicators :)

/ What kind of grass seed? #14  
Steve, most prevalent species of grass used for lawns here are:
couple of sorts of Poa pratensis, few sorts of Festuca rubra (fescues), Lolium perenne, Phleum pratense (Timothy grass).
Suppose similar like you use.

I'm located in the southeastern US. Bluegrass doesn't do well where I live, but it fares better in other parts of the country. Most of the lawns in my area are planted in either fescue or warm-season grasses such as bermudagrass, centipede, and zoyzia. As far as I know, timothy is used as a forage in the US.

Steve

/ What kind of grass seed? #15  
I'm located in the southeastern US. Bluegrass doesn't do well where I live, but it fares better in other parts of the country. Most of the lawns in my area are planted in either fescue or warm-season grasses such as bermudagrass, centipede, and zoyzia. As far as I know, timothy is used as a forage in the US.

Steve

I've never heard these warm-season grasses You've mentioned :confused3:

Timothy is used as a forage over here as well and we call them Forage Timothy. But there's dwarf timothy subspecies which is good for the lawns. Their advantage - they get green early spring and stay green until late autumn, but they like dampness.

/ What kind of grass seed?
Reverend Blair said:
I'd find a good garden center that makes its own mixes and ask them what's most appropriate for your situation, cub124. They'll be familiar with your local growing conditions. The place I go makes up custom mixes according to customer needs.

For the weeds, it's going to depend on what weeds you have. Usually a weed 'n feed liquid application works well though.

Alternatively, you can get the kids out there on their hands and knees pulling those weeds. When using this method, it is important to make them think they are playing, not working.:thumbsup:

That's probably what I'll do, there's alot of lawn and garden places in my town that I go to alot I'll wait until spring and ask them.

saracenas said:
Tried to grow different kinds of bought seeds. Ineffectively.
Well, you can play with the desirable seeds of grass on a very small peace of land (yard), forming special growing conditions (preparing the soil, using chemicals, watering et cetera), if you have enough time for that.
But according to my experience, there's nothing better than to sow the seeds taken from grass growing around you.
I'm letting the grass overgrow, cutting it (not mulching) and taking the seeds from the bottom of a trailer when transporting the hay to the garden for compost.
I'm useing these seeds after correcting the landscape. That works for me great, grass is green in each season (except winter, indeed), because naturallly growing around me grass is best adapted to the conditions around me (soil, average temperature, dampness, sunlit ...).
If Youl'll regulary cut the grass, You'll have nothing to talk about weeds and stuff :)

I cut the grass regulary but I still get weeds every year in the spring. Thats something I'll also ask southern states when I go to get my seed in the spring.

/ What kind of grass seed? #18  
I cut the grass regulary but I still get weeds every year in the spring. Thats something I'll also ask southern states when I go to get my seed in the spring.

Before forming a lawn I had lots of nettles, burdocks, thistles and many others. These are kinds of the weeds in my area. I was like crazy thinking about, how could I defeat them! But the lown mower did a great job. It simply doesn't allow the weeds to come into bloom and to grow their seeds. Moreover, I was dreaming to have clover in the lown (just because I like it very much). You can believe me or not, but the clover is spreading itself more and more in the lown. Nobody else, but Mother Nature brought me the clover from I don't know where :)
If You'll ask me whether the weeds disappeared for 100%? My answer is nope. Each spring the weeds are seeding themselves I might say from surrounding areas. But that is not a case which makes me warried as the lown mower does its job every year.
You probably have much different weeds and climate conditions in Kentucky. Then someone from TBN, who lives next to You, could pass You a better advice than me.

I've attached a pic (sorry for bad quality) just to share, what I'm doing with the grass in the lane in this case. This is the first phase of grass cutting with a Kubota after some time (2 or 3 weeks) had been wasted. Second phase will be the passing with a lown mower and the grass collection into its bin for compost. So, what could I say about the weeds here? Hmm ... :)

Attachments

• KL2202_Atvaizd0011.jpg
    KL2202_Atvaizd0011.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 188
Before forming a lawn I had lots of nettles, burdocks, thistles and many others. These are kinds of the weeds in my area. I was like crazy thinking about, how could I defeat them! But the lown mower did a great job. It simply doesn't allow the weeds to come into bloom and to grow their seeds. Moreover, I was dreaming to have clover in the lown (just because I like it very much). You can believe me or not, but the clover is spreading itself more and more in the lown. Nobody else, but Mother Nature brought me the clover from I don't know where :)
If You'll ask me whether the weeds disappeared for 100%? My answer is nope. Each spring the weeds are seeding themselves I might say from surrounding areas. But that is not a case which makes me warried as the lown mower does its job every year.
You probably have much different weeds and climate conditions in Kentucky. Then someone from TBN, who lives next to You, could pass You a better advice than me.

I've attached a pic (sorry for bad quality) just to share, what I'm doing with the grass in the lane in this case. This is the first phase of grass cutting with a Kubota after some time (2 or 3 weeks) had been wasted. Second phase will be the passing with a lown mower and the grass collection into its bin for compost. So, what could I say about the weeds here? Hmm ... :)

Thanks for the pic. The weeds that I have are mostly crabgrass and dandelions. I'm going to ask my local hardware store how to get rid of them in the spring.