What kind of grass seed?

/ What kind of grass seed? #1  

Cub124

Silver Member
Tractor
International Cub Cadet
We had 2 new foundation walls put in this past summer, and we had a really bad drought this last 6 months so everything I seeded died, and everything is bare. What kind of grass seed do you guys recommend.

/ What kind of grass seed? #3  
You need 3 types of grasses perennial fescue, rye and bluegrass. If you can get them in equal amounts, great. A different type of grass is green for each season. You can start with annual grass because it is fast growing and can help you get the lawn started while the other 3 grasses are taking root and while the annual grass is protecting the new grass. I was told once the taller you let your grass grow the deeper the roots get. Hope this helps.

/ What kind of grass seed? #4  
Ky 31 Fescue, if you want something that will hold. That is the savior grass for Ky hillsides starting back in the forties and fifties. Ken Sweet

/ What kind of grass seed?
jonyyuma said:
Kentucky blue grass of course..... In the shade or sun? Jy.

Some of it's in the shade but most of it is in the sun. I have always used Kentucky 31 and like it alot, just didn't know if there was anything better out there. What should I use to get the weeds and stuff out next year where there is already some grass? Is the seed or the liquid stuff better.

/ What kind of grass seed? #6  
I'd find a good garden center that makes its own mixes and ask them what's most appropriate for your situation, cub124. They'll be familiar with your local growing conditions. The place I go makes up custom mixes according to customer needs.

For the weeds, it's going to depend on what weeds you have. Usually a weed 'n feed liquid application works well though.

Alternatively, you can get the kids out there on their hands and knees pulling those weeds. When using this method, it is important to make them think they are playing, not working.:thumbsup:

/ What kind of grass seed? #7  
I went with tall fescue. It has deep roots and withstands drought well. Also the best cutting height is 3 inches which helps for a slightly irregular ground. The only glitch is that it doesn't self propagate.

/ What kind of grass seed? #8  
Tried to grow different kinds of bought seeds. Ineffectively.
Well, you can play with the desirable seeds of grass on a very small peace of land (yard), forming special growing conditions (preparing the soil, using chemicals, watering et cetera), if you have enough time for that.
But according to my experience, there's nothing better than to sow the seeds taken from grass growing around you.
I'm letting the grass overgrow, cutting it (not mulching) and taking the seeds from the bottom of a trailer when transporting the hay to the garden for compost.
I'm useing these seeds after correcting the landscape. That works for me great, grass is green in each season (except winter, indeed), because naturallly growing around me grass is best adapted to the conditions around me (soil, average temperature, dampness, sunlit ...).
If Youl'll regulary cut the grass, You'll have nothing to talk about weeds and stuff :)

/ What kind of grass seed? #9  
I haven't seen anyone mention soil testing.

In case you don't know, the University of Kentucky (and most Land-Grant universities) offers soil testing services. Check with your local Cooperative Extension office -- they should have the kits. The soil test results will give you recommendations for fertilization and liming.

Steve

/ What kind of grass seed? #10  
I haven't seen anyone mention soil testing.

In case you don't know, the University of Kentucky (and most Land-Grant universities) offers soil testing services. Check with your local Cooperative Extension office -- they should have the kits. The soil test results will give you recommendations for fertilization and liming.

Steve

Some sorts of weeds (in our case sorrel) show the soil is acidic or not. Ours is acidic. We put the lime into the garden's soil each spring before tillling.

Last edited: