Default Stink bugs ruin machines?

Anyone else run into this problem? A professional landscaper near me tells me they had some major damage to one of their Zero-Turn mowers due to the air cleaner filling up with hundreds of stink bugs over the winter. Last week my neighbor told me his weed whacker may have cracked a cylinder from the same problem... the air filter was full of stink bugs and he says it was a disgusting mess in there when he took the cover off. I am going to check everything I can before starting up this year. The stink bugs were terrible here last summer/fall and I am seeing them everywhere in and around my house not that they are waking up. Apparently zillions wintered in my garage, barn, and between my vinyl siding and the house. Check you equipment and if you find a good way to control the stink bugs.... let me know! These things are the bane of my life the past year or so!
    Roy

Tractor
    John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB

Default Re: Stink bugs ruin machines?

The HVAC guy doing a routine tuneup on the house system mentioned that stinkbugs have been a problem for them, too. He said he'd seen a lot of systems where they crowded into furnace & heat pump control areas.

Nick
    2010 John Deere 3038E w/305 FEL
    Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2060 Box Blade, Jinma 6" Chipper from Ranch Hand Supply, TSC Tarter 5' Rotary Tiller, Middle Buster, ASC Keulavator Hiller/Bedder, Caroni 59" Finish Mower
    2010 Gator CX
    2013 John Deere 1025R FILB w/ Bro-Tek thumb & ripper
    Retired FBOP NRA Life

Veteran Member

Last year was the first time I have seen them. They get into everything, no damage done. Hopefully the winter did them in. Being that they are china imports; we have no natural predators for them.

Hummm...... maybe we can send some to Afghanistan?

Unfortunately the winter didn't do the job here in Northern VA. The ones that wintered in my unheated barn and garage a slowly waking up and going about their business.

BTW- They will stink up a vacuum cleaner badly and the musty smell they leave hangs on and is emitted from the vacuum when you run it. Make sure you don't plan to use it in the house much if you suck up some stink bugs in it.

Transit -
    Thanks for the links in the other thread. Some of that I have seen but some is new and could be helpful. I appreciate the respond and the info!