White snowy looking weeds ?

/ White snowy looking weeds ? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
Hi Folks,
Here in N-E Georgia we are experiencing this weed that is carpeting our entire lawn, about 4 years when I first started seeing this stuff a bit farther south from me, now it has reached our area, I haven't seen it in the past few years but it looks like it is starting to come back :cool: I've looked the Internet over to see what info I could find and how to treat it,
This stuff is terrible and is killing the grass at a very fast rate, The best way to describe it, is it's a Fuzzy Snow looking weed that completely carpets the lawn, It grows low and spreads quickly, I have to set the mower at its lowest level to cut the white stuff away, while doing so I can see the centipede roots dried up laying with no grass leafs on it,

Anyone have any Idea what this stuff could be? and how to treat it?:confused:

/ White snowy looking weeds ? #2  
It's chick weed. Hard to kill in the spring. Needs to be sprayed in Nov-Dec to kill in the spring. There was more of it in Virginia this spring that I have ever seen.

Eddie

/ White snowy looking weeds ? #3  
Sounds like tramp weed. Getting pretty common in the SE. I have patches of it, too

/ White snowy looking weeds ?
somehow it seem to manage itself, it came up made a mess of things stay around for about 2 weeks then we had about 3 week stretch of no rain and it died out, along with what grass I had left:cool: we had a good rain last week and now the grass is trying to recover, No sign of that weed stuff,........ I'm curious to what brings this stuff about? it's kinda like kudzu, you see it in intervals, some places has it and others none,

/ White snowy looking weeds ?
Does it look like these images?

Cogongrass Images from Forestry Images

Could be cogon grass.

HTH

Arkaybee

None of the pictures look like the stuff I was seeing in my yard, I have looked the net over to try and find what it was, so far nothing compares to it, :cool:
it is very low to the ground and have to drop the mower level to as low as can be just to cut this stuff,
as I stated it is like carpet, I know what most every other weed is when I see it, I might have to go with this to the Department of agriculture, maybe someone there knows what this stuff is, it's nothing like I have ever seen before up until a few years ago when first noticed it,