Best way to get ride of big ants?

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #21  
My mom always just sprinkled comet scouring powder on the ant hill and the ants carry it down in the mound and then when it rains they all die eggs and all. no more ant problem

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #22  
We have used borax and powdered sugar mixed together to form a paste. Pour t directly on the mound. the workers grab the paste and take it inside the nest where the borax kills them. I tried it on 3 mounds right before the weather got cold so when I returned I really wasnt sure it was a success until today. I went back and there are mounds in the area that have active colonys but the mounds we treated that used to be the most active are now dead. I noticed an ant or two going in and out but when I knocked the tops off they weren rolling out to rebuild. We will re treat and see if it does the job. I have such a problem at my new place I am looking into something I can broadcast. those ants are everywhere on one south facing slope. I want to get rid of them so they wont come back.

I dont know if they killed the trees or not but they have also taken up residency in some dead treas I have and I want to kill them before I make the mistake of knocking another one over and getting bit a dozen times again...

Ever see a fat boy trying to get out the side of a skid steer cage? I bet it was funny...

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #23  
I'm picturing Chris Farley (rest his soul) swatting and fumbling to get out of a skid steer...

/ Best way to get ride of big ants?
Soap spray no worky, they still Living Going to buy poison at depot next

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #25  
Funniest part of that statement is I look like farley at a distance LOL

Well after looking at 2 farm stoors and talking to an old timer today I picked up 2 more boxes of borax and 6 bags of powdered sugar. Think my infestation will be over after this weekend....

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #26  
home depot had a new ant spray...ortho ellimentals
its base product is soybean oil...and dang if it doesnt kill them dead fast. and safe to use.

Last edited:
   / Best way to get ride of big ants? #27  
Well I underestemated my foe, No change in a week and after a good walkthrough today they have started 3 more mounds. I found another I hadnt seen previously that is about 4 foot tall.

That said i am going to attempt to use the chemical mentioned earlier. I found it in 35% strength. not sure weather to get that one or stick with 10%. I am looking for knockdown power. When I knock the tops off of these i really get the ants rolling out and they aint happy. Son and i both got bit today several times.

I found where they are building other nests besides the ones we have already worked on. and there are areas wher the gound looks like it is moving.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #28  
Well I underestemated my foe, No change in a week and after a good walkthrough today they have started 3 more mounds. I found another I hadnt seen previously that is about 4 foot tall.

That said i am going to attempt to use the chemical mentioned earlier. I found it in 35% strength. not sure weather to get that one or stick with 10%. I am looking for knockdown power. When I knock the tops off of these i really get the ants rolling out and they aint happy. Son and i both got bit today several times.

I found where they are building other nests besides the ones we have already worked on. and there are areas wher the gound looks like it is moving.

yeiks...might be time for the C4..... or gas and a match

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #29  
Get a shovel and a couple of buckets. Take some from one hill and some from another, shake the buckets real good, and dump them out on an unsuspecting neighboring hill. Then the fight is on.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #30  
Get a shovel and a couple of buckets. Take some from one hill and some from another, shake the buckets real good, and dump them out on an unsuspecting neighboring hill. Then the fight is on.

hay...not bad. i think i like it