Best way to get ride of big ants?

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #1  

Jimt76

I have 5 different spots on my acreage that have giant anthills. Any ideas?

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #2  
Rope em, throw a big saddle on em and jump on for a ride. :thumbsup:

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #3  
I too have a ' big ant' problem (on the wife's side). I usually call the big uncle, and he takes her home.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #5  
I've had good luck with Amdro. Giant mounds don’t sound like fire ants. We have lots of those big mounds here, though I’m not sure what type of ant they are. Big and black is all I know.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants?
Not fire ants. Red ants their piles are mostly sandy roughly 5 feet diameter

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #7  
I have big ant mounds to. They usually are quite soft. I can't imagine anything closer to being nuked than when I raise my Woods rotary cutter up over them and lower it. There just ain't nothin' left. Never had one rebuild after nuking.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #8  
In the past I have used the ant killer products available at retail stores. This year I tried spraying Permethrin around a few red ant mounts that had popped up. They were gone within a day or two.

A few years ago I started buying Permethrin from the local farm supply in 10% concentrated form. Initially I used it for tick control on the 4 acres where we are building our house. It did a great job of controlling the ticks at a cost of around $10 an acre.

Here is a link to a similar product on Amazon

211M7eMdbXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Permethrin 10% for livestock - 8 Ounce - Red: Kitchen & Dining

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #9  
BruceWard, thanks on the tip, I too tried the nuking technique...and found they'd open up shop about 5-10' feet from the original mound.

/ Best way to get ride of big ants? #10  
So far mine have not come back. I have sprayed a large area around the mounds. At the build site I spray a couple of acres. I have not had an ant problem in that area at all.