Building New Lawn Area

/ Building New Lawn Area #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
Last spring I used screened loam over gravel to start a new lawn area. The seed only took in the wettest area. Even then, it took forever for the grass to show.

The loam seemed to lack nutrients or, it was bad seed. I'd sooner blame the loam.

What do you all use for topsoil material.?? I thought loam was best. Now I want to get some loam that has not been screened. Would that be a better topsoil.??

The whole area looks like heck this spring...no grass filling in.??

/ Building New Lawn Area #2  
Why did you plant it over gravel? What kind of gravel, how thick? How much soil on top? I'd think you'd have a tough time keeping it water well enough with the gravel there. Have you had the soil tested?

/ Building New Lawn Area #3  
I agree, if you put your top soil over the gravel them most all of your water drains away from your grass roots. I'm not an expert, but I would say you need about 4 inches of soil to keep grass alive. I would add more loam/top soil in the fall and reseed again. Living in Maine you may be able to start grass in the spring and keep it alive during the summer (hard to do in the south). Building a nice lawn takes time. Be prepared to work a few seasons to get your final product. Don't give up.

Eddie

/ Building New Lawn Area
I used the gravel to bring the area up to grade, or should I say up to just below grade. Then I topped it off with the loam, 3 or 4 inches of it.

Apparently I made mistake with the gravel. So, my question now is, what should I have used under the loam.?? I didn't use sand because sand drains quicker than gravel. And, sand can be very soft under foot when it's wet. That's why I used gravel. I mean, my gravel driveway would be grass if I didn't drive on it. I don't think I was totally off base using gravel. But, I'm all ears.

Can you start from the beginning and tell me how you would build a lawn over low land that needs fill.?? All be it, not fill consisting off stumps and crud. I used gravel.

What should I have used under the loam.??

/ Building New Lawn Area #5  
Maybe run a vibratory roller across the lawn area to pack it in then add a little more topsoil and reseed again. Firming up the layers beneath should slow down the water losses. Then loosen the top four inches to form a seedbed.