Best way to edge?

/ Best way to edge? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
What is the best way to edge with a string trimmer? I have a fairly long driveway, about 700 feet, that is asphalt, and over time grass grows out over the edges after a while. I usually just hold the back of the trimmer a little higher and go along the edge. Does it work better to turn the trimmer on edge and let the string go vertical along the edge?

/ Best way to edge? #2  
Does it work better to turn the trimmer on edge and let the string go vertical along the edge?

Better or not, that's the way I've done it for years. If it's done pretty regularly, you can go pretty fast with it.

/ Best way to edge? #3  
I think the best way to edge is to use an edger. :)

However, when using a string trimmer I usually stand in the grass and trim at a slight angle. It works for me.

MoKelly

/ Best way to edge? #4  
I think the best way to edge is to use an edger. :)

However, when using a string trimmer I usually stand in the grass and trim at a slight angle. It works for me.

MoKelly

I have the edger attachment for my Mantis tiller and if grass and dirt are built up out over the concrete, it's the tool of choice for me. Of course edgers cut a completely vertical cut while, for my own driveways and sidewalk, with the string trimmer, I stand on the concrete and cut the grass at a slight angle away from the concrete. IF I were edging asphalt (fortunately, I'm not) I'd probably do it a bit differently.

/ Best way to edge?
I don't have a crisp enough edge to use and edger for. Its pretty good, solid ashphalt, but the edge is a little wavy.

/ Best way to edge? #6  
I don't have a crisp enough edge to use and edger for. Its pretty good, solid ashphalt, but the edge is a little wavy.

In which case, while I can't say for sure, I'd probably do it the way you've been doing it in the past.