Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #1  

Ralph Kibblehouse

Tractor
John Deere 322 & Z445
I have a white limestone gravel driveway - it is about 700 foot long with 3 large parking areas the driveway and parking areas seem to manufacture grass & weeds - is there a Good Home Remedy that will kill and keep them dead for a full summer & fall with out breaking my bank account, at present I have to do it about 3-4 times a year. Please submit remedy if someone has one, Thank you.

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #3  
Try the tried and true suggestions from this website:

The 7 Deadly Homemade Weed Killers

BUT-for my money, you can buy a 2 1/2 gallon jug of 41% or 47% RoundUp or the generic equivalent for less money than the ingredients for homemade, with the exception of boiling water. However, if your drive is 700' long, boiling water might be difficult to pull off. A 2 1/2 gallon jug should last you a long time. Just don't leave the mixed solution in your sprayer or it will clog up pretty quickly. Always clean thoroughly when finished.

Most of the ag supply stores will have this. Stay away from the premixed products, unless you want to pay them for the water!

One thing about using glycophosphate products: Be sure to only use the recommended mix. Too little, and you won't get the results you are looking for. Too much, and you burn the top without killing the root. Be patient, as it may take 10-14 days to see results if the weather is cool.

If you've already been using RoundUp, you may have a lot of old weed seed still in the soil. Sad to say, but some of the weed seeds seem to have a half life like Uranium!!! Just have to keep after it.

Good luck, and welcome to TBN!

GGB

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #4  
Generic gly is your best bet to kill the plants. Sounds like what you want is to also prevent new ones from growing, which will take a soil sterilizer. I don't have any experience with any of them.

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #5  
Sounds like what you want is to also prevent new ones from growing, which will take a soil sterilizer.
Pramitol 25E ...... available at finer Tractor Supply stores near you .....

Just be careful where and how you use it - it is persistent in the ground (and in groundwater - something to keep in mind if you have well water) .... don't use it where there are any roots of anything you want to keep, or where it will leach to places where such roots exist.

Last edited:
   / Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #6  
I have a white limestone gravel driveway - it is about 700 foot long with 3 large parking areas the driveway and parking areas seem to manufacture grass & weeds - is there a Good Home Remedy that will kill and keep them dead for a full summer & fall with out breaking my bank account

If I had the solution I would be rich beyond belief. :licking:I can kill the weeds/grass in the gravel BUT I can never keep them dead all summer and fall.

MoKelly

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #7  
Its bad but I am going to suggest it anyway diesel fuel. Long long time ago a company I worked for in NY had their own pumps one time they had a spill used dirt and sand from the yard to clean it up then they dumped in back in the yard and spread it Nothing ever grew there NOTHING Not only bad for the eviro but too expensive now anyway just figure I would throw it out there

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #8  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #9  
Using diesel is illegal... Plus,,We had several people investigated here after fires at their homes. The charges were Arson, of their homes. Just a fact...

/ Home Remedy Grass & Weed Killer #10  
I've found diesel fuel to be just a temporary kill. Not as long as glyphosate. About 2-3 sprayings of gly over the summer seems to work ok here.
Gly is easier to put in a sprayer and get cleaned up after, than putting diesel in the sprayer.