String Trimmer Replacement Head?

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #1  

BethesdaEC

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I am tired of reloading the string in my trimmer. I have seen the ads on the TV for the replacement heads with pivoting plastic blades. Has anybody tried these products out? Please let me know if there ones that work as promised or should they be avoided.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #2  
i have tried the ones with the ~1" wide blades.. they work BUT they also wear down and need to be replaced and they seemed to have a smaller diameter swath... Personally i would not go that route..

Do you hate the string in general, or had having it kink up as you try to replace what has worn away? I hate it because it always seems to kink/bind up..

BUT my wife's style electric string trimmer has a really simple design to load new string.. After removing all the old string - you take two ~6' pieces of string and feed the end of each piece into the head.. the you turn a knob on the bottom of the head and it pulls the string up for into the head..

Brian

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head?
I have a lot of stone walls and a dual string Echo trimmer. It holds about 30 feet of string and it seems that when I weed wack, I can go through that much string in one session. Just looking for a better option, since it always seems to run out of string at the worst times.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #4  
I think I have tried just about all of them and have settled on a Rhino head that you use cut pieces in. The heavy duty swinging blade types are good for burdocks and thistles but mash up pretty quickly on rocks and wood. The pivot head string ones work ok and seem to hold up against fences better than the string head holders or dispensers but do not take a thick enough string for my liking. The nylon blades that have no metal in them are good for grass only. The metal tricorner blade is great on stout weeds or saplings but lousy on everthing else
I precut a pocketfull of string and just go out and whack. By the time the string is done, I am too:eek:
JMHO

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #5  
I second the rhino head that takes precut string. I tried the plastic blades, complete waste of time and money. If you even look at a rock they will break. The key is using a heavy string (orange or red). I buy the echo orange string (.095" I think) in a bulk roll. I have a lot of rocks and it holds up well.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head?
I am going to try the Rino head, I will head over to Home Depot this evening.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #7  
tip - that head has spring loaded clips (grabbers) on either side (2 strings) that you push the new strings through. Push a little extra (1/4") thru. Later when you are removing an old string, it is easy then to grab that nub with a pair of plyers and pull it out without having to retract the spring loaded grabber.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but it will when you look at the head.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #8  
I second the precut string heads. I weed whack a small cemetery (about 20 head stones) usually only use one or two sets of string. I do use .130 diameter string it wheres a lot better.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #9  
I have a old Stihl head that used the plastic white blades and string on the same head at the same time. Works well for me cutting along flagstone walls. The string can be left longer than the blades so you get a wider cut. Reading the instructions for the blades said to soak them in water before using. Never had heard this before. Have the usual assortment of circular carbide tipped saw blades, triangled headed grass cutters, and other special use stuff but - like the first set up best.

/ String Trimmer Replacement Head? #10  
I have a old Stihl head that used the plastic white blades and string on the same head at the same time. Works well for me cutting along flagstone walls. The string can be left longer than the blades so you get a wider cut. Reading the instructions for the blades said to soak them in water before using. Never had heard this before. Have the usual assortment of circular carbide tipped saw blades, triangled headed grass cutters, and other special use stuff but - like the first set up best.

Soaking the plastic blades or string line in water helps keep the plastic material from drying out. This keep them from breaking and wearing out faster. At least this is what my local small equipment guy has always said.