DO You have Ink-Balls

/ DO You have Ink-Balls #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
attached to or under your oak tree? Tried researching them and came up with mostly a blank sheet for information.

/ DO You have Ink-Balls #2  
Try doing a search for oak galls. They were used for years to make ink.

Bo

/ DO You have Ink-Balls
Searches keep referring me to Galls but these are not Galls. These are a round ball shaped growth, usually about ping ball size, that hang from a Black Jack oak trees I have in my area. They are fairly soft like cork would be and when cut into with the trusty pocket knife a black ink looking fluid usually oozes out. I'll check with the county extension service and see what knowledge they have about them.

/ DO You have Ink-Balls #4  
There are lots of different types of galls. The most common in my area are round marble galls about the diameter of a nickel or quarter. They are made by gall wasps and were a source of inks and dyes. Search for marble oak galls and see it the images match what you have.

/ DO You have Ink-Balls
There are lots of different types of galls. The most common in my area are round marble galls about the diameter of a nickel or quarter. They are made by gall wasps and were a source of inks and dyes. Search for marble oak galls and see it the images match what you have.
I finally found one on an oak tree here about ping pong ball size. This one is still green but will change to a brown cork color and shrink a little in size.

Using your information and searching for marble galls I found this link that matches what I have or similar. Thanks for the information.

Oak Marble gall wasp Andricus kollari

Attachments

• ink ball 11-6-11.JPG
    ink ball 11-6-11.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 264
   / DO You have Ink-Balls #6  
Are you sure that it's an Oak tree? That sure looks like a Black Walnut to me. I just raked up over 80 lbs of them.

/ DO You have Ink-Balls #7  
Are you sure that it's an Oak tree? That sure looks like a Black Walnut to me. I just raked up over 80 lbs of them.

That does look like it could be a black walnut. Other than making sure your hands don't turn brown when taking off the husks to get the nuts to dry, they do taste good in cookies. If you never tried them, they have a slightly stronger taste than regular walnuts.