Need seeding help..

/ Need seeding help.. #1  

Hardtimes1406

Tractor
massey ferguson 1533
1st I don't know whether to buy a pulverizer or a power rake?..seems Power rake does a better job for redoing an old weedy lawn starting new or seeding new lawns..I also have a 65" tiller ..2nd I put the down starter fertilizer by Broad cast spreader,then Seed put down using Broadcaster 3rd the hard one..the big question is do you leave the seed on top of ground? do you work it into the dirt some? then do straw..this is real part I need an answer I need on.. big jobs you can't rake a whole area by hand..how do you guys finish the seed? then straw.. I looked at a woods renovator for seeding..but no way can I afford a power rake and a woods turf renovator/seeder. I have the 65" 3 point tiller but here in SC red clay is hard, consider tine wear..thanxs in advance for any input..Guys so far no help...I have ask some lawn contractors in my area when I see them working...most time no answer//they act of if I have ask a taboo question. I know there are lots of pro's here..I would appreciate any advice...come on guys throw a dog a bone...thanks again..

Last edited:
   / Need seeding help.. #2  
I'm far from an expert, but here I've had good results breaking the surface with a rake, disc, aerator, whatever, then plant, roll, and straw.;)

/ Need seeding help.. #3  
I don't know about your version of red clay, but in our area when you still have some grass left but not too much thatch, you might try this. First, overseed, THEN power rake. Leave the thatch instead of using straw.

Here's why I think it seems to work-by power raking after seeding, the grass seed will usually fall to the ground and make better contact. The thatch seems to come to the top to cover the new seed, and then works like straw to protect and hold moisture and soil tempeture. Also, at least for me, it also doesn't seem to smother the seed as I've sometimes done with too much straw.

I began using this method by accident. I used to power rake, then hand rake off the thatch, then over seed, then put down straw. When I was running out of time one year, I was trying to get done before dark, and finished up one section of the yard as first described. That area turned out as good or better than everywhere else, and was MUCH easier to do. Your results may vary.

I'll still core aereate whenever I get a chance, which will really help nearly any lawn promote drainage, but especially if you have clay soil. Cotton seed compost or better yet mushroom compost really helps improve clay soil over time.

Good luck with your lawn.

One

/ Need seeding help.. #4  
I use a spike tooth harrow on harder ground making a few passes to cover the seed. On tilled ground I have raked the seed in with a pine straw rake with good results this year. Both of these implements are low budget but do a good job behind a braodcast spreader.