Fun project

/ Fun project #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
Old Manor stone and some landscape adhesive from Lowes...the twin to this column is on the other side of the driveway. A little patience and some heaving lifting is all it took. My wife thinks I am awesome! :laughing:

The driveway was paved the day after...I'll post some more pics after I get the rest of the landscaping in.

Attachments

• Fenderosa.jpg
    Fenderosa.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 371
   / Fun project #2  
Looking good. :thumbsup:

I'm curious about the build beyond adhesive. Looking at the photo, your footing looks like a precast slab, or is it a poured on site slab? Gravel? Soil type?

I'm planning another project and your project process may prove handy.

And as the saying goes, when momma's happy, everyone's happy...:D

/ Fun project #3  
Good job. Will that adhesive that was used, still be effective after being subjected to NC winter temperatures? BTW-it looks good too.:thumbsup:

/ Fun project
Looking good. :thumbsup:

I'm curious about the build beyond adhesive. Looking at the photo, your footing looks like a precast slab, or is it a poured on site slab? Gravel? Soil type?

I'm planning another project and your project process may prove handy.

And as the saying goes, when momma's happy, everyone's happy...:D

The footing was a 24x24x2" concrete paver placed on ~4" of compacted paver base on top of compacted clay. The adhesive set overnight and no amount of tugging could get my cap course to budge. One of the advantages to the manufactured stone is it was easily drilled with a masonry bit and fitted with lead anchors to hold my address plaque in place. Using the stacked stone/adhesive method gave it an older, weathered look, IMO.

/ Fun project
Good job. Will that adhesive that was used, still be effective after being subjected to NC winter temperatures? BTW-it looks good too.:thumbsup:

I used Loctite Landscaping adhesive. According to their label:

"Loctiteョ PLョ Landscape Block Adhesive may be used under a variety of moisture and temperature conditions ranging from sub-freezing to elevated temperatures, dry, wet or frozen framing."

Lets hope they have a relatively honest marketing department!

/ Fun project #6  
Thanks for the punctual reply and info. The reason that I inquired was that I was thinking about a similar project like yours that I was wanting to do this coming Spring. Thanks again.:)

/ Fun project #7  
My wife thinks I am awesome! :laughing:

That's the main thing right there!! Looks good too, did you put your mail box in the other column? I have a friend that used basically the same material to "rock" the wall in his stair case from 1st-2nd floor, about a 12'x 16' wall and it turned out awesome without the weight since it was an "after thought"

/ Fun project #8  
Great looking project. How many blocks did you use? Is the middle hollow? Do you have a side view? I need to build a mail box that the little Bast$%#@s won't destroy. Your design will probably give them a sore wrist for a while.

Norm

/ Fun project
nap61 said:
Great looking project. How many blocks did you use? Is the middle hollow? Do you have a side view? I need to build a mail box that the little Bast$%#@s won't destroy. Your design will probably give them a sore wrist for a while.

Norm

If I remember correctly it was 84 blocks. The middle is a hollow 4" square...of course you could fill with sand or concrete...might make the little knuckleheads think twice after a sprained wrist....real simple to do. The base was a 24"x24" solid concrete paving stone.