Front brakes on a Zero turn!!

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #1  

newt92

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 and 2305
Has anyone heard of or seen this setup?? Genius idea IMO!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDs97X6U8c]Zero Turn Mower Front Brakes!! Check it out www.tedbrakes.com - YouTube[/ame]

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #2  
Seems like a good idea, but if this guy is so concerned about safety and not being killed shouldn't he install a ROPS on his mower too??? I'm just sayin'...

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #3  
It is a great concept, but if you are in a situation where the big fat tires on the back with you and the engine sitting over them dont have enough traction, how are your little slick front tires going to do anything?
Replacing the rear turf tires with some lugged tires to get more traction will do more for less money than adding brakes to the front

Aaron Z

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #4  
What am I missing? Why does he need brakes on the front tires? He drives around on that little hill like it's nothing, and it's not, but why wont his rear wheels do everything that his
new front brake feature is supposed to do?

Seems like a silly idea that doesn't accomplish anything or justify a reason to exist.

Eddie

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #5  
It is a great concept, but if you are in a situation where the big fat tires on the back with you and the engine sitting over them dont have enough traction, how are your little slick front tires going to do anything?
Replacing the rear turf tires with some lugged tires to get more traction will do more for less money than adding brakes to the front

Aaron Z

What am I missing? Why does he need brakes on the front tires? He drives around on that little hill like it's nothing, and it's not, but why wont his rear wheels do everything that his
new front brake feature is supposed to do?

Seems like a silly idea that doesn't accomplish anything or justify a reason to exist.

Eddie
Have either of you used a Zero Turn mower, espcially on hills? I'm guessing not. The rear tires are almost worthless coming down a hill, front first.
I am fairly confident in saying no matter what tire is on the rear.

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #6  
Have either of you used a Zero Turn mower, espcially on hills? I'm guessing not. The rear tires are almost worthless coming down a hill, front first.

I've owned my Skag Wildcat for 2 1/2 years. I'm very impressed with the gripping ability of my rear tires on dry grass. I go up, down, and sideways on it where I wouldn't dare go with the riding mower that I had before, or with any of my tractors except my dozer. Those two wheels, with their own independent hydraulic motors to drive them are AMAZING!!!!

Do you have a zero turn? Since you say that the rear tires are worthless, what do you have? Might be that we're not comparing apples to apples here and what you have might need additional braking power.

Eddie

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #7  

I'd have to agree with you. You don't need brakes if you just mow flat ground or slight hills. I believe the fellow invented them specifically for a steep hilly environment thus increasing the usability and safety of a zero turn mower.

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #8  
Sorry, you are incorrect. I have quite a few hours running one. I worked for Trugreen Landcare mowing and repairing mowers, so I am very familiar with how they work (I worked with 60-72" Exmark Lazers and 60" Huskvarnas).
We had a machine (not on my crew) which had a stuck front wheel (from not enough grease despite the crew saying "but we greased it at lunchtime" and me trying not to laugh at them) and it didnt slow the mower down much even on concrete or asphalt (tore the lawn up getting it back to the trailer though).
What would worry me the most with that system is that if going down a wet slope one wheel would catch on an obstacle rather than rolling over it and spin the mower around into something, or onto its side.

Despite his spiel about it being wet, in that video, you could see dust coming up when he turned around at the base of the hill in the first part of the video. No way that would be considered "wet" around here.

Aaron Z

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #9  
I'd have to agree with you. You don't need brakes if you just mow flat ground or slight hills. I believe the fellow invented them specifically for a steep hilly environment thus increasing the usability and safety of a zero turn mower.
Make that a DRY steep hilly environment. Around here, it is wet enough that the front wheels will just slide around on the fresh clippings or dew.

Aaron Z

/ Front brakes on a Zero turn!! #10  
I must have pretty steep hills.
Bought this mower in 2002
Took off the originals put these on...
Tires4_1.jpg

Then went to these...
All_Trail.jpg