Opinions on walk behind hydros?

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
I'm looking to get a different mower. I am maintaining 2 small yards each less than 1 acre and 1 property that I mow about 6-7 acres of at this time.

Both lawns have very steep sections. The one home I always did with a trim mower, but I just don't have the time to mow it that way any more. I had a Deere x720 with a 54" deck which worked good as far as time. I had to drive across the slopes being so steep and it would leave wheel marks from sliding. I was looking for a walking hydo before I bought the Deere, but it was such a good deal I figured I would give it a try.

I would even consider a zero turn ride on, but I would like to keep the cost below $4000.00. The zero turns I have seen below that don't look like they would hold up very well. The ones that do, I can't believe how much the price has increased. A good friend of mine a few years ago (at most 4) bought a Dixie Chopper for $6500.00 new. He looked at the same model around christmas and it was just over $10K. Any in the price range I would pay were owned by landscapers and are beat. For a good deal I would be willing to spend more, but I can't spend $8-10K at this time.

Any opinions on how a zero turn would handle slopes should I find a good used one?

I like Ferris myself, they are made about 7 miles from my home. They have a lot of support around here. I have heard good things about a mower they have Dual Hydrodrive, but have no idea on price. It's suppose to be a less costly hydo mower.

Deere I could also go with very close support. Seems Deere just bought Lesco, but there are none around here.

Toro I can also get support for.

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #2  
I have a Ferris walk behind with a 36" cut, I have had it for 20+ years and it is a good rock solid mower. I don't use it much anymore as I also have a JD 757 zero turn mower. If you are on a steep bank both of these will tend to slide and do some damage to the turf mowing across them sideways and neither really has enough traction to mow them uphill. Also, the Ferris will tend to slide down the hill on a steep bank and I would not try the JD mowing up and down on a steep bank as rollover is an issue. I really like the new Ferris zero turns with suspension, but they are really high dollar mowers. All of them that I have priced are well over 10K. Lastly, you have already figured it out. You get what you pay for. I have some neighbors that have purchased the lower end zero turns from Lowe's et. al. and they work but not nearly as well as the heavy duty commercial mowers.

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros?
I have a Ferris walk behind with a 36" cut, I have had it for 20+ years and it is a good rock solid mower. I don't use it much anymore as I also have a JD 757 zero turn mower. If you are on a steep bank both of these will tend to slide and do some damage to the turf mowing across them sideways and neither really has enough traction to mow them uphill. Also, the Ferris will tend to slide down the hill on a steep bank and I would not try the JD mowing up and down on a steep bank as rollover is an issue. I really like the new Ferris zero turns with suspension, but they are really high dollar mowers. All of them that I have priced are well over 10K. Lastly, you have already figured it out. You get what you pay for. I have some neighbors that have purchased the lower end zero turns from Lowe's et. al. and they work but not nearly as well as the heavy duty commercial mowers.

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen some landscape guys use the walkers across slopes and seem to have good results. I wonder how the newer dual drive units work. My thinking is I could compensate some by playing with the speed from side to side. What I would like to find is a 48" unit.

Have you seen the Ferris evolution mower? I think people either love them or hate them bacause a few were for sale last year on craigslist very cheap and the reason given was they didn't like the seat. They are like a motorcycle with a cutting deck. I think the center of gravity would be a little high or I would at least try one.

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #4  
No, I have not seen that particular Ferris model. They will probably have them at the National Farm Machinery Show in February. I will check them out then.

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #5  
I have a scag 48 Hydro. It has been a great machine with zero problems

I have a scag 48 Hydro. It has been a great machine with zero problems

I have heard of Scag, but never seen one.
No dealers are close by.

Have you ever tried it on slopes?

No, I have not seen that particular Ferris model. They will probably have them at the National Farm Machinery Show in February. I will check them out then.

They should have one.

For anyone interested here is a link to the site. Too me it seems very narrow tall and expensive for what it is.

Evolution Overview

Last edited:
   / Opinions on walk behind hydros? #8  
The best of the Ferris's for hill side walkers is the dual drive.

For riders on steep banks or hills the four wheel steering on the Cadet is about as good as it gets for the ability to hold on slopes.

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #9  
I have heard of Scag, but never seen one.
No dealers are close by.

Have you ever tried it on slopes?

The area that we mow is very hilly. the best thing about the hydro is that you have positive reverse. And yes it holds its line well on slopes

/ Opinions on walk behind hydros? #10  
I've run a eXmark hydro walk behind (48" and 52" with 19 and 21hp engines). Liked both of them. We used them where we couldn't safely run a rid on zeroturn.
I highly recommend a sulky or "velke" to ride on. Much easier on the body than chasing the walkbehind all day.

Aaron Z