Grass or ground cover

/ Grass or ground cover #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
My wife and I are interested in put something on our back hill in the Charleston WV area so I don't have to cut the hill all the time. The hill is fairly steep but can be cut with my walk behind zero turn but even it slides around some. The soil is clay with a little real dirt on it and it is fairly shaded as it borders our woods.
We need to have a little area I can drive the tractor over to get down into the woods from time to time but I may just mulch a little trail between whatever we plant if it is best not to drive over it.

Things we are thinking of....

pearls premium grass ? This stuff is supposed to grow with little water, not look high (sort of falls over) and only needs cut a few times a year which I can live with. anyone know anything about it?

Some kind of Ivy (not posion)?

Bermuda grass maybe?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

/ Grass or ground cover #2  
My wife and I are interested in put something on our back hill in the Charleston WV area so I don't have to cut the hill all the time. The hill is fairly steep but can be cut with my walk behind zero turn but even it slides around some. The soil is clay with a little real dirt on it and it is fairly shaded as it borders our woods.
We need to have a little area I can drive the tractor over to get down into the woods from time to time but I may just mulch a little trail between whatever we plant if it is best not to drive over it.

Things we are thinking of....

pearls premium grass ? This stuff is supposed to grow with little water, not look high (sort of falls over) and only needs cut a few times a year which I can live with. anyone know anything about it?

Bermuda grass maybe?

I have dealt with a similar situation. Crown Vetch worked the best for me as far as ground cover goes. Even Crown Vetch is not maintenance free but is much better than hanging upside with a weed whacker on a cliff.

/ Grass or ground cover #3  
I'd be curious to hear some recommendations for alternatives to grass myself.

/ Grass or ground cover #4  
The soil is clay with a little real dirt on it and it is fairly shaded as it borders our woods.

<snip>

Bermuda grass maybe?

Just a few thoughts.

English ivy would grow in the shade, but you would have to worry about it getting into your wooded area and climbing into your trees.

Bermuda grass, at least common bermuda, doesn't tolerate shade.

You may be too far north for it, but Liriope is a hardy ground cover in my neck of the woods.

Steve

/ Grass or ground cover #5  
I have researched ground cover quite a bit. Where we used to live was on an old river bank and the slopes were near vertical. Crown Vetch seemed to work the best for me there. The State of Ohio prefers Crown Vetch for steep slopes that they can not mow. Again by research I have learned this. Crown Vetch isn't perfect. There are fast growing weeds that can overtake it. Canadian thistle, honeysuckle, and black locust along with any other fast growing weeds will over take it. All and all Crown Vetch would be my first choice.

/ Grass or ground cover #6  
I like vinca minor aka periwinkle as it won't climb trees. Or liriope spicata which is very tough and will spread quickly. Just be mindful that it can get away from you.
Either way, you'll want to kill whatever is there now.
Mike

/ Grass or ground cover #7  
If it's not cost prohibitive, maybe some large and small rock, like granite or whatever you can get. Turn it into a non-mow area. then let mother nature have it.

/ Grass or ground cover #8  
Crownvetch is nice, but it likes full sun to grow the best. If you treat your lawn with 2,4D, the vetch may suffer. It can be sensitive to it at times. I have used a crownvetch crowns with birdsfoot trefoil fairly successfully. Other vetches and even some perennial wildflower mixes may work in your climate. I've experimented with various clovers, but as expected they die out after a few years. Good old foxtail comes in and crowds out the clovers. Not sure how any of the bromegrasses or some of the newer buffalo type grasses that are long lasting would work in your climate.