Weed Control Question

/ Weed Control Question #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
I have about 2 AC of Bermuda grass and 3 AC of field grass that I mow that is being overtaken with wild onion, broadleaf weed purple dandelions.

What 2-4-D product will get this under control and not kill off my grass?

/ Weed Control Question #2  
I think should be looking for a 3-way broadleaf herbicide containing 2,4-D, dicamba and mecoprop (MCPP). You should be able to find several brands at lawn and garden centers, Lowes, HD, etc.

Steve

/ Weed Control Question #3  
Any 2-4-D properly applied at the proper time will work. I just use whatever I can get at the feed store. For our property if I was concerned about my front yard I would be applying something during this warm spell to get rid of the weeks. For the pastures I will do weed control early June as that is when bitterweed seems to be young and ready to die. I follow up with spot spraying later in the summer. Some folks spray weed control on Bermuda right now.

You probably have an Ag. agent in your area that may give you some more guidance specific to your property.

/ Weed Control Question #4  
2-4D If sprayed at correct mix will-not kill your grass,if you dump alot of anything on there it will probaly kill it,applying it right is the trick. But the question should be will 2-4d kill the desired weeds in question.

Alright I looked it up and it says 2-4d will not kill wild unions,will brown it but not kill it.
They are saying TRIMEC or SUPER TRIMEC and dont spray when temps are over 80deg.or below 40 and spray right after a mowing. Sounds like it going to take several treatments to get it killed out..

/ Weed Control Question #5  
Metsulfuron works well on the onions and henbit. Manor is one of the brand names of it.

/ Weed Control Question
Alright I looked it up and it says 2-4d will not kill wild unions,will brown it but not kill it.

They are saying TRIMEC or SUPER TRIMEC and dont spray when temps are over 80deg.or below 40 and spray right after a mowing. Sounds like it going to take several treatments to get it killed out..

Thats what I'm reading also. Well I can live with the wild onions for another year and spray for them this spring summer and fall. However the broadleaf has got to go.

/ Weed Control Question #8  
Thats what I'm reading also. Well I can live with the wild onions for another year and spray for them this spring summer and fall. However the broadleaf has got to go.

Just follow the directions and will be okay,alot of folks put it(2-4d) with there fertilizer in there hay fields to kill goatweeds and etc. I use grazon p+d since it will stay in ground and kill new growth weeds,un-like 2-4d just kills what you spray. I think 2-4d will mess with st.augustine grass,so I have heard....

/ Weed Control Question #9  
When I had my Bermuda hay fields, I had liquid fertilizer mixed with 2-4D put out, usually 1st week of March. I would then fertilize the rest of the summer myself. This routine worked wonders, my grass got so thick, I was able to do this every other year if I had wanted. A good stand of Bermuda will prevent allot of weed growth.

/ Weed Control Question #10  
24d ester is the mot potent formulation.is there any cotton fields around? 24d will mess cotton up over a mile away.