Can someone check my 2,4D math

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
I picked up a FIMCO 40 gal 3pt sprayer some 2,4D so I'm ready to declair war on my yard. Area to treat is 1.3 AC to get rid of / control broadleaf and wild onion.

At 40 psi the sprayer will put out 12 gal per AC at 5 MPH or 16 gal for 1.3 AC.

Argisolutions 2,4D LV4 for broadleaf is 2 pints per AC and 2-3.15 pints per AC for wild onion. I will split the differance and use 2.5 pints (40 0z) per AC or 53 Oz for 1.3 AC

So I put 16 gal of water in the tank and 53 oz of 2,4D.

Is this correct?

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #2  
Not sure of your calculations yet, but you may want to check out the extension guide on controlling wild onion from Clemson. It recommends a fall treatment, or very early spring (might be too late??) and I believe wild onion is a grass, which by itself 2,4D will not control wild onion. The guide recommends multiple treatments if a 2,4D derivative is used. I googled "wild onion control" and it was near the top, "hgic2311.pdf" from clemson university. Good luck.

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #3  
I picked up a FIMCO 40 gal 3pt sprayer some 2,4D so I'm ready to declair war on my yard. Area to treat is 1.3 AC to get rid of / control broadleaf and wild onion.

Argisolutions 2,4D LV4 for broadleaf is 2 pints per AC and 2-3.15 pints per AC for wild onion. I will split the differance and use 2.5 pints (40 0z) per AC or 53 Oz for 1.3 AC

Is this correct?

I think so. if all your premises are correct, in other words you are supplying the facts, but I don't see anything wrong with your logic. I cannot speak to the dosage or anything like that

James K0UA

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #4  
Dennis- One thing I think you should do is what I did and I did it because I had read that this is the most precice way to check your sprayer's actual output. Use your math calculation by putting the particular amount of water only in the sprayer and do a drive at the prescribed speed and measure the length and multiply that length times the width of the spray in order to get the actual square footage at that particular speed. It will also help you to determine if the speedometer is accurate.

Oldstuff

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #5  
Time yourself driving a known distance, say the distance needed for your boom width to cover 1/10 acre. Fill the tank with water. Catch the water from one nozzle for the amount of time you recorded earlier. then multiply by the number of nozzles and 10. You now have the amount your sprayer puts out, per acre, at that speed.

Most of the weeds you see now are winter annuals and they'll pretty much go away when the weather warms. The best time to spray for these would be in the fall. Now that I've give n this advice I'll tell you that I sprayed my yard last week because I was tired of looking at the henbit and chickweed (and some onions). I'm telling myself that I'll get my act together next fall and do it at the right time.

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #6  
First, I think the math is wrong and that's way too much concentrate for that mix. I use the bulk 2 1/2 gallon containers of "concentrate" and I think I use maybe an ounce per gallon. But that's a guess and I digress.

Let me offer my tale of woe with 2,4D from last spring. I normally hand spray here and there in the spring and summer and then spray the grass with the sprayer in the fall. Last spring, however, I decided to take care of some weeds along the driveway in May. Well, the drift on a calm day and residual effect of the stuff killed a few of my wife's plants--20 ft away-- and also killed three maple trees of mine. The biggest was maybe 15 ft. It stayed green all summer but grew no more leaves and the buds are dead so I figure the tree is dead.
Same thing with a 15 ft Norway spruce. A good amount of the new growth died back and I basically lost a year of growth. After that lesson, I now won't spray 2,4D from a pressure sprayer untl early fall. As well, there are two types of 2,4D. The LV drifts big time and the Amine drifts a little less. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
   / Can someone check my 2,4D math
Great info everyone, I will put all this to use tomorrow.

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #8  

Is this correct?

I spray 2-4d on my pastures 1oz.to 1 gallon water, with alittle dawn soap,2nd gear, 25psi,at 4.0mph witch comes out to roughly 20oz.per acre. Thats a pretty heavy dose you got there,just my opinion....

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #9  
Watch out ... You setting yourself up for a big issue. You haven't confirmed your spray output regardless of the concentration.

The way I did it ... Fill the tank with water only. Then spray the fields with your proposed settings and speed. This will confirm that the amount of water will be spread over the land area you figured. If not recalculate....
:thumbsup:

/ Can someone check my 2,4D math #10  
First, I think the math is wrong and that's way too much concentrate for that mix. I use the bulk 2 1/2 gallon containers of "concentrate" and I think I use maybe an ounce per gallon. But that's a guess and I digress.

Let me offer my tale of woe with 2,4D from last spring. I normally hand spray here and there in the spring and summer and then spray the grass with the sprayer in the fall. Last spring, however, I decided to take care of some weeds along the driveway in May. Well, the drift on a calm day and residual effect of the stuff killed a few of my wife's plants--20 ft away-- and also killed three maple trees of mine. The biggest was maybe 15 ft. It stayed green all summer but grew no more leaves and the buds are dead so I figure the tree is dead.
Same thing with a 15 ft Norway spruce. A good amount of the new growth died back and I basically lost a year of growth. After that lesson, I now
won't spray 2,4D from a pressure sprayer untl early fall. As well, there are two types of 2,4D. The LV drifts big time and the Amine drifts a little less. Just my two cents.

It's not just drift. 2,4-D volatilizes so you get injury when there was no drift. I saw a greenhouse full of dead tobacco plants because they got too close with the 2,4-D.