Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Acura integra

Default Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared??

I am gradually starting my landscaping business and need some advise on buying my 1st mower. My price range is 1,000-1,500. Shopping around, I think I'm going to have to decide on which would be better for the money; a 36" hydrostatic walk behind or a 48" gear driven walk behind. Buying a 48" hydro would be perfect but they seem to be just out of my price range.

And advise would help. Thanks.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared??

Quote Originally Posted by iWes12 View Post
    I am gradually starting my landscaping business and need some advise on buying my 1st mower. My price range is 1,000-1,500. Shopping around, I think I'm going to have to decide on which would be better for the money; a 36" hydrostatic walk behind or a 48" gear driven walk behind. Buying a 48" hydro would be perfect but they seem to be just out of my price range.

And advise would help. Thanks.
    I was under the same dilemma last year. When I asked several landscapers on their opinions, to a man everyone suggested the hydro. The gear driven ones are ok for the homeowner but if you are making this a business, you'd kick yourself for not getting the superior handling hydro.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

that budget seems pretty low for a nice mower. a JD hydro 54" walk behind has done well by me for three years - very nice to be able to feather the power to the wheels indeptently for steep hills and quick turns around trees. if you're starting a business and think you'll have some cash flow, you might want to think about financing - they have zero interest for a year or so. btw, my mower was about 6k.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

I have a 48 hydro and a 36 gear. Both are Scag. I bought them both new and did not have the extra to spend on a 36 hydro. Now I wish I just sucked it up and bought both hydros. I HATE the belt machine. Reverse is nonexistent with a belt and I can't even imagine pulling a 48 belt driven one around all day. Spend alittle more now or much more later.

Tractor
    kubota L3400HST

Go 36" hydro... build your business... save some money, and buy a 48" hydro when you can.
    L3400HST, L463 FEL, Markham toothbar, Markham Grapple, Woods BH80-X, 5 1/2' United box blade,6' Leinbach scrape blade, Pallet forks, 5' King Kutter RM, 56" First choice tiller, Leinbach rake

Tractor
    Acura integra

Great information here. Thanks for the help guys. Last question is will a 36" hydro pull a 170 lb man on a velkie?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Great information here. Thanks for the help guys. Last question is will a 36" hydro pull a 170 lb man on a velkie?
    A 36" will have anywhere from a 9-13 hp motor. Remember how fast go karts were with a 5 hp engine? It will pull you on a sulky all day long.

Tractor
    Acura integra

Haha thanks a lot for the info.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota

I just went through a similar thing. I do know what I have been told. The velki/sulkys that you have to step off of to back up you will probably be OK. The type that keeps you straight behind the machine and you can stay on while backing up. They recommend a heavier machine. 48" deck and 20 hp. Also some models they recommend a re-enforcing plate for the machine.

Tractor
    Acura integra

That makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast