Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared??

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #1  

iWes12

Tractor
Acura integra
I am gradually starting my landscaping business and need some advise on buying my 1st mower. My price range is 1,000-1,500. Shopping around, I think I'm going to have to decide on which would be better for the money; a 36" hydrostatic walk behind or a 48" gear driven walk behind. Buying a 48" hydro would be perfect but they seem to be just out of my price range.

And advise would help. Thanks.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #2  
I am gradually starting my landscaping business and need some advise on buying my 1st mower. My price range is 1,000-1,500. Shopping around, I think I'm going to have to decide on which would be better for the money; a 36" hydrostatic walk behind or a 48" gear driven walk behind. Buying a 48" hydro would be perfect but they seem to be just out of my price range.

And advise would help. Thanks.

I was under the same dilemma last year. When I asked several landscapers on their opinions, to a man everyone suggested the hydro. The gear driven ones are ok for the homeowner but if you are making this a business, you'd kick yourself for not getting the superior handling hydro.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #3  
that budget seems pretty low for a nice mower. a JD hydro 54" walk behind has done well by me for three years - very nice to be able to feather the power to the wheels indeptently for steep hills and quick turns around trees. if you're starting a business and think you'll have some cash flow, you might want to think about financing - they have zero interest for a year or so. btw, my mower was about 6k.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #4  
I have a 48 hydro and a 36 gear. Both are Scag. I bought them both new and did not have the extra to spend on a 36 hydro. Now I wish I just sucked it up and bought both hydros. I HATE the belt machine. Reverse is nonexistent with a belt and I can't even imagine pulling a 48 belt driven one around all day. Spend alittle more now or much more later.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #5  
Go 36" hydro... build your business... save some money, and buy a 48" hydro when you can.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared??
Great information here. Thanks for the help guys. Last question is will a 36" hydro pull a 170 lb man on a velkie?

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #7  
Great information here. Thanks for the help guys. Last question is will a 36" hydro pull a 170 lb man on a velkie?

A 36" will have anywhere from a 9-13 hp motor. Remember how fast go karts were with a 5 hp engine? It will pull you on a sulky all day long.

Haha thanks a lot for the info.

/ Walk behinds; 36" hydro or 48" geared?? #9  

I just went through a similar thing. I do know what I have been told. The velki/sulkys that you have to step off of to back up you will probably be OK. The type that keeps you straight behind the machine and you can stay on while backing up. They recommend a heavier machine. 48" deck and 20 hp. Also some models they recommend a re-enforcing plate for the machine.

That makes sense.