established trees near newer leach field

/ established trees near newer leach field #1  

BrokeSolid

Tractor
2007 Mahindra 2615HST, 2009 Grasshopper 928D
Hey guys,

Been looking at my 5 year old leach field and wondering about some of the trees that are very close to it. I'm not having any problems, but have always had the understanding that trees are bad to have around septic systems. I'm the second owner of the house, and the first owner planted the field next to 2 scrub cedars and a 40+ foot wild cherry. All are about 5-10 feet from the field. Pretty sure I'm going to take down the cedars just because they are bushy and growing over the field, but I hate to take down that cherry as I don't have many good trees on my property. I can't think that the person who installed it, would've been cool with those trees so close if they weren't ok.

I've been searching now for an hour and can't find much info on planting the field next to these type of trees. I've read that cherries are a better tree to plant close to a field, but they say to put it at least 25 ft away. any ideas?

/ established trees near newer leach field #2  
My leech field is surrounded by 3 apple trees, a line of spruce trees, black berry bush, poplars, honeysyckle. It is about 28 years old. No problems with it. I've pumped the tank 2x in the last 3 years - never realized that the tank was supposed to be pumped out of solids every 5-10 years.
I thought the roots might mess the leech field up- but they haven't. Everything grows great around the field!:laughing: In my avatar pic- my tractor is parked on my leech field! My pasture wild cherries have the sweetest cherries I discovered last summer.

/ established trees near newer leach field #3  
Much like tcreeley, my field is surrounded by cedar, alder, and other various fauna that has not encroached into the field to cause any problems.

/ established trees near newer leach field
Thanks guys, this makes me feel a little better. I wish i could ask the previous owner of our house, but he passed away actually at the property. He built the house in 05 to retire on. Anyway, I will just go ahead and take out those scrub cedars then, and leave my big cherry. Now if i could just keep the tent caterpillars off of it!

/ established trees near newer leach field #5  
My leech field is surrounded by 3 apple trees, a line of spruce trees, black berry bush, poplars, honeysyckle. It is about 28 years old. No problems with it. I've pumped the tank 2x in the last 3 years - never realized that the tank was supposed to be pumped out of solids every 5-10 years.
I thought the roots might mess the leech field up- but they haven't. Everything grows great around the field!:laughing: In my avatar pic- my tractor is parked on my leech field! My pasture wild cherries have the sweetest cherries I discovered last summer.

You're lucky. I can't get more than 28 month's out of my septic tank withouth pumping, otherwise it has too much solids and overflows at the lid, because the screen is plugged.

/ established trees near newer leach field #6  
   / established trees near newer leach field #7  
Some trees are bad around septic fields -- willows, poplars for example. But others are fine. I have actually seen a drainfield zig-zagged within the spaces of a planted pine forest!

/ established trees near newer leach field #8  
My septic field is surrounded by large hardwoods. They're mostly maple and all are probably 80+ foot tall and have been there since the field was new (about 30 years) and we never had any issues. My understanding is the real issues are when trees start to grow on top of the leach field. I have also heard that cedars are bad as well as the other ones mentioned.